Spline picture and question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spline picture and question

well, got my new tires mounted and balanced today, (those avons look SWEET!!) i snapped this pic of my splines and wanted some input.

this is a quote from TCK's thread "fear and loathing... " about his failed splines.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    THESE are splines. Or were anyway.
    and... this is my splines, they look pretty similar..

so, any experts out there wanna weight in? am i looking at having to replace these?

also, I couldn't find any moly60, but i talked to a guy at napa who really seemed to know his stuff, and he gave me a "high concentration molybendium assembly grease" that is a mixture of moly and graphite. He said it's the same idea.. any reason why i should worry about it?

Here is some input:
    Dont put it back togeter without removing the hub from the wheel to better inspect the hub.
    You cant really see what you need to see without removing the hub from the wheel.

Other input:
    That grease looks old and dried out.
    SHould be regreased every time wheel is off.

Here is what the hub looked like in the GK I got (photo compares to a new one).
    Was close to complete failure.
    See how the end of the spline doesnt wear? THat is the end you can see when when the hub is still in the wheel.

I have other pictures that I sent to BassCliff, and he used some in his website, so check there for other info.

Last edited by Redman; 08-11-2008, 09:46 PM.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Either there is old grease caking up those splines or their are chunks missing. A tooth brush and some WD-40 should get the old crud out. Take a close look after cleaning them up some.

Moly 60 paste has 60% moly (I think). What kind of % on that assembly lube?
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Either there is old grease caking up those splines or their are chunks missing. A tooth brush and some WD-40 should get the old crud out. Take a close look after cleaning them up some.

Moly 60 paste has 60% moly (I think). What kind of % on that assembly lube?
        it doesn't say, unfortunatly. there is alot of caked grease in there, i ran some degreaser in it and scrubbed it up post pic and the teeth don't really appear to have unusual wear on them.. they are still pretty much square and when i fit it back together there was no play at all.. but i'm used to looking at final drives on cars and the like, and i don't know if the same rules apply. i can take the back tire off again tommorow and try to get a better pic, but my camera kind of sucks.

:edit: after looking at TCK's Pic again.. i assumed that was old caked grease in the pic on the teeth.. is that the damage?! o.0

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
          it doesn't say, unfortunatly. there is alot of caked grease in there, i ran some degreaser in it and scrubbed it up post pic and the teeth don't really appear to have unusual wear on them.. they are still pretty much square and when i fit it back together there was no play at all.. but i'm used to looking at final drives on cars and the like, and i don't know if the same rules apply. i can take the back tire off again tommorow and try to get a better pic, but my camera kind of sucks.

:edit: after looking at TCK's Pic again.. i assumed that was old caked grease in the pic on the teeth.. is that the damage?! o.0
          Thats not all caked grease, thats caked grease and teeth dust. The front of the teeth that you see there are all there is. They are smooth as a baby's bottom behind that.

Comment

The end you can see may look square, see pictures I added above, but what you can see easliy is the portion that doesnt wear. Need to inspect the further in portion of the splines.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

wowwww. my teeth are all there and feel pretty uniform and square. i'm still not sure i have the "crappy" one as opposed to the "good" one, but i think i'll have to take this apart and take a closer look this winter. i have a severe lack of tools and workspace in this appartment, but i will be storing the bike at my parents in their garage. There i'll have lots of tools and workspace to take it all down and apart. I'm gonna be out there take off a bunch of parts to be polished and/or powdercoated anyhow

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                Here is some input:
                Dont put it back togeter without removing the hub from the wheel to better inspect the hub.
                You cant really see what you need to see without removing the hub from the wheel.

Other input:
                That grease looks old and dried out.
                SHould be regreased every time wheel is off.

Here is what the hub looked like in the GK I got (photo compares to a new one).
                Was close to complete failure.
                See how the end of the spline doesnt wear? THat is the end you can see when when the hub is still in the wheel.

I have other pictures that I sent to BassCliff, and he used some in his website, so check there for other info.

wow. great picture. after seeing that pic, mine looks alot more like the second one. i'm going to disassemble the hum and make sure, because, well, i don't wanna get stuck somewhere :P

i gotta see if i can get a better picture of it when i disassemble it so you guys can weight in. i appreciate your input alot, by the way, guys!

Comment

well, got my new tires mounted and balanced today, (those avons look SWEET!!) i snapped this pic of my splines and wanted some input.

this is a quote from TCK's thread "fear and loathing... " about his failed splines.

and... this is my splines, they look pretty similar..

so, any experts out there wanna weight in? am i looking at having to replace these?

also, I couldn't find any moly60, but i talked to a guy at napa who really seemed to know his stuff, and he gave me a "high concentration molybendium assembly grease" that is a mixture of moly and graphite. He said it's the same idea.. any reason why i should worry about it?
                  Moly 60 is available at any Honda dealer, it is about ten buckks and comes in a little tube that will last you probably the life of the bike

Comment

Originally posted by kvgarrison View Post
                    Moly 60 is available at any Honda dealer, it is about ten buckks and comes in a little tube that will last you probably the life of the bike
                    normally, i would agree with you. but i went to three honda dealers today.. 2 had no idea what i was talking about, and 1 told me he'd have to order it and it'd be 3 weeks. then one of the techs behind the counter told me to go to napa and ask them about assembly grease, which i did and he recommended the product i have. i'm gonna have to take the wheel off anyhow again soon and check that spline, and in the meantime, i'm gonna order some.

I was really supprised that the honda dealers were clueless, though. the suzuki dealer knew what i was talking about..

Comment

normally, i would agree with you. but i went to three honda dealers today.. 2 had no idea what i was talking about, and 1 told me he'd have to order it and it'd be 3 weeks. then one of the techs behind the counter told me to go to napa and ask them about assembly grease, which i did and he recommended the product i have. i'm gonna have to take the wheel off anyhow again soon and check that spline, and in the meantime, i'm gonna order some.

I was really supprised that the honda dealers were clueless, though. the suzuki dealer knew what i was talking about..
                      I've got about a half tube left, I can USPS it to you tomorrow if you want it, PM me or hit my e-mail at kvgarrison@comcast.net

Comment

Originally posted by kvgarrison View Post
                        I've got about a half tube left, I can USPS it to you tomorrow if you want it, PM me or hit my e-mail at kvgarrison@comcast.net
                        i appreciate the offer, but i already had him order some. i put it all back together, and will probably be waiting a couple weeks to take it back apart, since i'm going to do that at my parents.

Comment

I see you ordered some honda goo already, my local honda dealer had the stuff, $10.

I just used it on my 650GZ when I replaced the rear tire - the splines were completely dry & caked with old grease. Cleaned them with a toothbrush & degreaser, then eyeballed them closely with a light - they looked very good but then again the bike only has 6k on it.

I can tell you the whole shifter felt smoother afterwards... (maybe in my head?)

Now I'm anxious, my 1100GZ needs a new rear tire very badly, but that bike has 28K - I'm hoping those rear splines look OK too.

Good luck
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Don't forget to check the driveshaft spines, also.

Comment

Yes, will do...

And the brakes
                              '85 GS550L - SOLD
                              '85 GS550E - SOLD
                              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                              '81 GS750L - SOLD
                              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment