Petcock Vaccum Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock Vaccum Line

Say, does anybody know where I can buy a petcock vacuum line online? Mine is cracked... I duct taped it for now, but that's only a temp fix. The darn thing left me stranded alongside the road the other day and I for sure considered selling my GS that same day because I didn't know that it was a 3 dollar fix.

Question #2 I've noticed that there is some smoke coming from the front of my bike around the engine/pipes area that are directly under the handlebars. My pipes run really hot apparently. It had on oil change about 2 or 3 months ago. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks.

I am Canadian, so duct tape is a permanent fix, not a temp repair....

Comment

1. Any auto parts store will have a line you can use
      2. Yes.
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

1/4" auto vacuum hose will work fine. As to the smoke, iwould wash the engine off real good to see where the leak is. It may just be the cam cover leaking

Comment

...or the tach cable seal (#2). For #1 you need 6mm hose, 1/4" is usually close enough, depending on the manufacturer. OEM always works.

Keep us informed Mr. DarkOnyx.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Get rid of it .Blank off the bizzo on your carb that it connects to and run your bike on Prime.Just don't forget to turn back to Run when you stop the engine.Cheers,Simon.
            http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Hey W1ngman6, I didn't know there were Canadian REDNECKS.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks for the response everyone. I'll stop by at the auto parts store tomorrow and pick up some vacuum hose.

As for the engine... it just seems to run a little hot. The pipes have a purplish discoloration because it runs so hot. Truthfully I think it's because the old ride burns a little oil and that's the smoke coming from the engine area. I'll bet if I even wash off the engine and the pipes like was suggested, it might even stop altogether. There could be something on the engine or the pipes which is burning away (sort of like when there's a residue on the kitchen stove that you don't realize is there until you smell something burning).

Thanks for the responses guys.

Comment

Discoloration on the pipes is normal. The chrome isn't as good as modern day.

Smoke, etc, can come from many sources. Clean the bike well and see if you can spot future oil leaks. Places to look for: Valve cover, Tach cable input, head gasket, base gasket. Probably all in that order.

Comment

I am also Canadian, and UNLIKE :the redneck from Alberta, like to fix things correctly,
                    You can buy new hose at just about any auto supply joint.

Comment

Good advice.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                        Hey W1ngman6, I didn't know there were Canadian REDNECKS.
                        Haven't you ever watched Red Green?

Comment

So I got some 1/4 inch tubing and everything worked fine. I still had to charge the battery weekly. I didn't charge it for a couple of days and IT LEFT ME STRANDED AGAIN!

So I got a new battery. This is is gel so it should be "zero maintence." the problem is that the terminals were reversed so I had to get some 6 gauge wire to extend the positive lead so that it would connect. I checked the volt meter... everything looks cool. This battery is strong so I connect it. The first time I forgot that the polarity is reversed so I got a spark... not good. It's now wired as it should be.

The problem is that I got NO life out of the bike. No dashboard lights, turn signals... NOTHING. I took the 15 amp fuse out of the main power and switched it with the headlamp's 10 amp fuse and everything worked... headlights, dash...turn signals... except now I have NO ignition. NONE. It's a great bike... unless you intend to ride it.

I also see that somewhere or another one of the lines connected to the carborator came out. I have no idea what this thing is or where it connects.

Anybody have any ideas?

Comment

Here's that line:

Comment

And here's my lousy job with the battery:

Comment

Working...
                              X