No announcement yet.

can I remove the slip-on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you talking about completely removing the megaphone/canister pipe?

If so, you will see a neg. affect on performance. bottom end/ low mid range.
    Also, wouldn't the exhaust exit right below you, Foot peg area, Brake res. ? Oil pan? Not a prefered place for heat IMO.
    What about fumes at traffic stops?
    I feel the noise would more than likely annoy YOU after a little while, unless you're the type who just "Blasts around the Block" a couple times a month.

How about trying to come up with or mod one of those short baffles from the modern era sport bikes to fit.

Comment

I'm with paco on this. You gotta have some pipe on it.
      I actually like the sound of a smooth running quiet bike. You only hear it when I want you to. OK maybe on the highway open pipes are doable but ripping down residential blocks at 2:30 in the morning on a weeknight setting off car alarms just sends me for my guns.
      Anyway is there a thread with exhaust mods already started? I would like to change my exhaust (kinda ratty looking after 30 yrs) but want to keep the smooth sound. I would like to add modern cans to my stock headers, keeping the dual exhaust. Anyone running something like that? If so how does it sound? Sorry to hijack but this thread is all over the place and I saw an opportunity to ask.

Comment

Noise ordinance enforcement has already started here. Last month there was a Harley rally near here. It's an annual event that attracts many bikers from the area and has been generally well tolerated. For years the authorities looked the other way concerning noise, illegal lighting, illegal modifications (like ape-hangers that are taller than 18 inches) etc. etc. Well this year all heck broke loose. State troopers everywhere nailing people. They had a decibel meter and set up a check point where the bikers had to rev their engines and if they were too loud, they got a ticket. Lots of tickets were handed out and the talk in the local papers and radio for a week was how come the authorities let this go on for years and just now decided they would enforce. A buddy of mine went to court to fight it and basically the judge was unsympathetic, fined him and told to him get the bike within noise limits. If he doesn't and gets caught again the judge said to be prepared to pay "big time". It's a sign that the authorities and courts around here are getting on the same page and the message is pretty clear. I'm not taking sides here but apparently we've come around to "if you breaks the law, you pays the price" attitude. I've never seen as many bikers get pulled over as I have this year. A sign of the times I guess. Plus, NY has a really bad deficit this year and needs money I suspect that might have something to do with it.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2008, 01:15 PM.

Comment

My Yoshi makes a nice noise, pretty docile while cruising but sings when you really wind the bike up.
          That's ideal for me as I don't like to upset the neighbours (& I get bored listening to it).
          Open pipes & big harley clack clacks aren't my thing....

I'm the yellow helmet.. on the way back I'm at about 6 grand in 2nd.

The last bike is also mine.. that one runs a Vance & Hines 4:1.

Maybe others on here will comment as to which they were & what pipes they run.... some are stock.

Dan
          Last edited by salty_monk; 08-12-2008, 01:36 PM.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

My street megaphone is fairly quiet bopping around town under 4000 RPM, but when you open it up it turns heads for sure.

Comment

Damn salty, those all sound sweet.Looks like a nice place to ride. Wish I lived in cali. I plan on moving there one of these days, I here they're pretty bike friendly.

Comment

Relatively & great weather but a lot of Cops....

That was actually by the shore of Lake Tahoe about 2 miles from RenoBruces place. I wish I lived where he lives for riding... it's fantastic round there. Grass is always greener!!

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

geez salty.. that was HOT :P

i like my stock exhaust, but i am really thinking about going to a V n H 4:1..

Comment

Working...
                  X