R/R Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R Olympics

Instead of watching the Olympics, I spent my evening installing my new Electrosport Regulator and replacing bullet connectors.

I have one big question. I have found 3 ground wires from various things, including the RR. All of them bolt to the painted frame, hoping the current finds a way through the threads I guess.

It wouldn't be hard to move all of them to the negative battery terminal. My question is, should I do that? Am I looking at something bad happening if I do?

Thanks in advance.

I would clean up the grounds that you have and add one from the R/R to the battery. I don't think having all the grounds at one point is necessarily good. If that point for some reason becomes bad you have no grounding. For extra security I also run a ground from the R/R to frame as well as the battery. Yes I'm paranoid.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Personally, I prefer to minimize the number of wires that connect to the battery. I usually end up with corroding terminals for some reason, and like to reduce the number of how many of them get messed up.

There is a large-gauge wire from the battery to the frame. At that frame connection, I will have all the other ground wires ganged up, too. I have found that it also helps to use a longer bolt, then use star washers between the terminals. The points on the washers dig in and help assure good connections.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Personally, I prefer to minimize the number of wires that connect to the battery. I usually end up with corroding terminals for some reason, and like to reduce the number of how many of them get messed up.

There is a large-gauge wire from the battery to the frame. At that frame connection, I will have all the other ground wires ganged up, too. I have found that it also helps to use a longer bolt, then use star washers between the terminals. The points on the washers dig in and help assure good connections.

How bout a tent stake, Steve?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Okay. So I replaced the connectors where my little fire started. One wire was green with a yellow stripe connected to a white wire with a green stripe. All the other wires there matched up to a corresponding wire. Anyone run into this? Also, wires on one side of the plugs are aluminum, the other side are copper. Is that normal?

Comment

I ran a 10awg wire from my battery to a spot on the frame and grounded everything to that. Looks clean(ish) and ensures a solid ground to everything.
            My stator had aluminum wires too. Works just fine for me.

Comment

Working...
            X