2 sets of carbs - both smoothbores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 sets of carbs - both smoothbores?

Need some clarification on these carbs. The ones on the left measure 29mm, so I assume they are 29mm smoothbores. 2 screws on caps. Came on a Z1R project I got.

The ones on the right came on my '78 GS1000. They measure 30mm and I was told they were smoothbores. 3 screws on cap. So they are 30mm smoothbores?.......

I can't say for sure about the left carbs, but the right carbs appear to be STOCK carbs for your GS.
    Although it appears that the bores have been shined up a bit, that is not what makes them smoothbores.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Left I believe are Kaw, the rt are Smooth bores ID by the large plug on the float bowl for quick jet changes

Comment

Correct on the left being Kaw. I believe they were stock on the Z1R. Mainly wondering about the ones that came with the GS. They are definitely 30mm, which I'm not familiar with. Found this thread but didn't see any mention of a 30mm. Could they be 29's?

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Hell I guess I have most the carb bases covered. I have flatslides on my 1000 now and roundslides on my 80 '1100.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2008, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Two ways to ID 29mm smoothbores, The big difference will be seen if you open the slide, a smoothbore has a sleeve inside the slide allowing the main bore to be round rather than having the depression where the slide travels.
          A second, looking in the bore from the inlet the smoothbore has 3 bosses, one is the open passage for the metering circuit and one plugged for the idle circuit. The third is undrilled.
          Looking at the 28mm carbs you have you see 5 bosses.

Comment

Understood. So then what would the GS carbs be? Here's a pic of the inlet. Couldn't get the camera to focus, but it is dead on 30mm at the inner radius.

Comment

SqDancerLynn1 is correct: The easiest way to id the VM29 S/B's are they have the 17mm nut on the float bowl for main jet access. If you are going to measure the ID use a digital caliper with no pressure exerted for an accurate measurement. I bet they measure 29mm.

Not as familiar with the Kawi's but they late model KZ1000's were all equipped with VM28's before CV's. I recall reading the Cycle World article on the Z-1R but don't recall if they were messaged. Jeff Saunders would know for sure. Regardless the Z-!R carbs are priceless to the right person
              Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Old Colt Pic Request

Would you mind sharing a full blown pic of your 1975 Ducati 750 Sport . I would like to learn as much as about these as I can in the off chance I ever get the opportunity . . .
                Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Right now the engine is out of my 750 Sport since I have decided to pull the heads and change the exhaust valve seats to Copper beryilium so it will live on todays street fuel. I do not have any digital pics of the bike together. I expect I must have some on film that I could scan but the bike will not be assembled till late this year. Its value is climbing rapidly and I want to make the bike real pretty so when someone finds it in my barn after I die they will be happy.
                  I also need to make a correction to my previous post, I just went down to my shop to measure my smoothbores, they have 5 cast bosses not the 3 I described.
                  Mine measure about 29.7 near the outlet and 29.4 as far as the calipers will reach in.
                  Have you slid your carbs open and looked to see if yours are smoothbores or just assuming from measuring them?

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                    SqDancerLynn1 is correct: The easiest way to id the VM29 S/B's are they have the 17mm nut on the float bowl for main jet access. If you are going to measure the ID use a digital caliper with no pressure exerted for an accurate measurement. I bet they measure 29mm.

Not as familiar with the Kawi's but they late model KZ1000's were all equipped with VM28's before CV's. I recall reading the Cycle World article on the Z-1R but don't recall if they were messaged. Jeff Saunders would know for sure. Regardless the Z-!R carbs are priceless to the right person
                    Ok. I was just being thrown off by the id measurement. Yes, it is a 17mm nut on the float bowl. Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Just to throw in some confusion, VM28s have a 29mm bore (may be a tad under say 28.9mm).

(That nut on the bottom is the giveaway for smoothbores).
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

odd, my bike (79 GS1000) came with carbs like the ones on the left.

Comment

Working...
                        X