replacing parts need locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by etravis2 View Post
    By an chance have you taken off the gas cap when it does this. Your vent might not be working properly. If it doesn't work properly it could starve your engine of fuel. Which would be why it runs ok when you start out but dies out in the run. Try this first before replacing a lot of things.
    GOod point there. Although I am starting to think this smacks to me of an electrical problem somewhere. Perhaps a crusty ground. The intermitant-ness of it running good and then crappy simply doesnt sound like carbs alone. That would just run crappy ALL the time.

Comment

Did you oil the K&N filter? Sounds like a rich condition due to an over oiled filter.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

where are the grounds located on the bike.i did look at the wires when i had the tank and seat off looked dirty thats about it also i dont know if it matters but i have to drive on a gravel road to get to the highways.also i havent touched the k&n air filter the guy i bought the bike from said he put new ones in but it drove good after i bought it till about a couple months ago.

Comment

Make sure it's installed correctly. Take it out and see if it runs better.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

This is true as well. Gravel road means lots of dust. Over a couple months, you could have it clogged up pretty bad and need to clean and re-oil it. Also, as Chef said, if you're rich as he suspects, and you take the filter out and it runs better, you'll know that he's correct, and have a good step in solving the problem.

Comment

okay ill take out the filter tommorow and let you guys know.also what is the best way to take the filter out cause i have never even looked at the filters yet and dont know how to get access to them

Comment

Under the seat in the airbox.

Comment

hey all i got some good news.
                  well i get to my parents first thing i do is look at that air filter take it out.ya it was very dirty.i drove without the air filter. made no difference it cut in and out still.so i get back clean the air fitler with a spray gun and put it back in.
                  had my dad look at the bike he took right side dohc that has one part behind it and clean it look good just dust and spider webs.i clean the ground that runs to the battery and too back of the motor.i take all the carb bowl bolts out and turn the guess on PRI and gas flows out all 4 carbs i put the bolts back in put it together and snap a gas tank bolt so i only have one now.i start it and it takes a while to start?
                  finally starts up and sounds amazing.i drive it to the tar road and it still sputters cuts in and out drove good then a second later crappy again.so i stop switch the gas to PRI and put about 8 miles on it was perfect the whole 8 miles no sputtering or anything was back to its old self the rest of the way home.i am gonna drive it on wednesday when my dad is out riding with me.but so far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by 821100gl View Post
                    hey all i got some good news.
                    well i get to my parents first thing i do is look at that air filter take it out.ya it was very dirty.i drove without the air filter. made no difference it cut in and out still.so i get back clean the air fitler with a spray gun and put it back in.
                    had my dad look at the bike he took right side dohc that has one part behind it and clean it look good just dust and spider webs.i clean the ground that runs to the battery and too back of the motor.i take all the carb bowl bolts out and turn the guess on PRI and gas flows out all 4 carbs i put the bolts back in put it together and snap a gas tank bolt so i only have one now.i start it and it takes a while to start?
                    finally starts up and sounds amazing.i drive it to the tar road and it still sputters cuts in and out drove good then a second later crappy again.so i stop switch the gas to PRI and put about 8 miles on it was perfect the whole 8 miles no sputtering or anything was back to its old self the rest of the way home.i am gonna drive it on wednesday when my dad is out riding with me.but so far so good.
                    Sounds like either your vaccum line from your petcock to your carbs is gone, has a hole in it, or the petcock itself is toast. Get a new one if the running on prime proves to be the answer to your troubles. www.Z1enterprises.com

Comment

Hi Mr. 821100gl,

Don't forget, if you leave your petcock on "PRI" (Prime) all the time, you may end up with a crankcase full of gasoline. This would not be a good thing. Be sure to check out your vacuum hose and replace the petcock if necessary.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

well i am confused now it did work good but today it came back when riding with my dad.it would bog and sputter sometimes not as bad sometimes really bad almost like it was gonna stall.it acts like your driving it and your hitting the on and off switch all the time.i am just at for a lost for words was such a great bike when i first got it.now it sucks i cant drive it.I called a citie's edge and they said its probally a gas problem and they can check it out for 86 bucks a hour.i almost want to take of the carb bowl and make sure their clean and put a new gas line on and see how it acts.also is it hard to replace the gas line?
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2008, 12:44 AM.

Comment

It should be pretty easy to replace the fuel line. When you remove the gas tank there are two rubber hoses connected to the carb. A thinner one for the vacuum and a thicker one for the fuel. The fuel line will have a clamp where it meets the carb. Loosen the clamp, pull out the hose, take it to a hardware store to find a replacement of the same size, maybe a little longer.

While you're at it, you should probably replace both.

I'm curious to see what’s wrong with your bike, I'm having similar issues.

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X