GS1000G Starting Problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G Starting Problems.

I have just purchased a GS1000G bike and it wont start unless you give it a shot of either, then it will start there after the intial start except when its cold.I have replaced the petcock, drained the tank, check the hose to carbs, primed it still wont go. I have a line missing off the fuel gauge on the bottom side of tank where does it hook to? any help would be appreciate. I evan changed the air filter and sealed the covers.

have you tried using the choke? it is the knob right there in the middle just below the handle bars.

Comment

if the bike has been sitting for a while then most likely the carbs need a good clean

see here:

for a nice list of a must-do things to do after buying a gs motorcycle
      GS850GT

Comment

And please stop using ether to start your engine.

It's very hazardous, it's very bad for you and your engine, and it's pointless -- you aren't learning anything useful about your problem with ether.

Either you're not using the choke correctly or you need to clean your carbs.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If it starts on ether,could be the 'O' rings on your inlet manifolds and loosing vacuum through your carbs.Cheers,Simon.
          http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Probably needs carb cleaning

Sounds similar to an experience I had with an old Yamaha one time.I had gone through the carbs and figured that couldn't be the problem.......Ha Ha....turns out I wasn't thorough enough the first time through.Long story short,I re-cleaned and adjusted the carbs correctly and the start-up problems vanished!! Also I find it interesting that someone told you where to find your choke knob,yet you haven't told us what year your bike is......so just in case it might not be anywhere near your handelbars.

Comment

Sounds like no fuel. Pull the fuel hose off the carbs, route it to a jar and turn on the petcock to check flow, you may need to crank the engine if you still have the vacuum operated petcock (unless you have a vacuum pump, much safer). If you've got good fuel flow coming out of that hose then start looking for carb O rings, rebuild kits and instructions which you can find through this site. Yeah stop using ether all it does is eliminate spark from the no start condition and is bad news for those little valves.
              Rebuild those carbs anyway. The GS1000 is a fast and fun bike you'll want it running 100% and you'll be happy you did. I know I am!

Comment

Originally posted by plotski View Post
                Also I find it interesting that someone told you where to find your choke knob,yet you haven't told us what year your bike is......so just in case it might not be anywhere near your handelbars.
                all gs1000g models have the choke in the same place
                GS850GT

Comment

thanks guys I have a 1981 Suzuki GS1000G bike the intake boots do need changing can any one tell me when I might order them from on the internet I checked Ebay no luck

Comment

Hi Dennis,

You can either go to bikebandit.com or http://www.cycleorings.com/ for your parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis49 View Post
                      thanks guys I have a 1981 Suzuki GS1000G bike the intake boots do need changing can any one tell me when I might order them from on the internet I checked Ebay no luck
                      When? I dunno, whenever you get around to it...or is it a round tuit?

Carb to airbox boots are about 12 bucks more or less a piece.
                      I ordered them from a friend who runs a repair shop and is very familiar with the Suzuki as he used to race a 850 and a Gamma back in the "golden days" before he switched to OW Yammies. He ordered from his local dealer.

They are available from the usual suspects you will find here on the board.

Comment

A very common culprit of hard starting is a plugged orifice in the bowl (the hole that supplies fuel to the choke circuit). The fuel for the choke goes up that long tube that comes down out of the carb body. Pull your bowls and see if gumout sprays through it easily (protect your eyes). If not, clean it with a few strands of fine copper wire. Also make sure the orifice at the end of the tube is clear too. Since it runs fine after starting, I would start here. There is also the possibility that voltage at the coils is down and powering the starter is lowering coil voltage too much (see coil relay info), but I would definitely check the choke fuel first.

Comment

Working...
                        X