Plug wire order and coil question - GS700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug wire order and coil question - GS700

I just got a GS700 for cheap. It's kind of a basket case, but not too bad. I was trying to get it running yesterday and I think the plug wires are not on correctly. There are obviously 2 coils and 4 wires but I think they are in the wrong order. Does anyone have a wire schematic or a pic of which coil fires what plug? It also had Accel coils and Accel wires. It will try to start but not run well at all. The guy I bought it from said it had low compression, but also said it had been sitting for a long time. I thik maybe the rings are just stuck and will loosen up after it runs for a bit. Other than the engine not running, the bike it REALLY nice. I can't wait to get it running and have a good ride. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Jason

The left coil which has a O/W and W wire going to it feeds cylinders 1 & 4. The right coil which has O/W and B/Y wires going to it and feeds cylinders 2 & 3. You might need to do the carbs if it will not run and has been standing for a long time. The normal routine, disassemble, clean and replace all the "O" rings; intake boots included. Cheers.

Comment

Thanks, I will amke sure they are set up that way. I know for a fact they are wrong right now. I think the left coil is on cylinders 1 & 2 and the right coil is on cylinders 3 & 4. I also have to figure out how they mounted the Accel coils because they don't seem to fit into the mounts under the tank. They have the plug wire posts sticking out the sides vertical to the core. It looks like they are too big for the mounts so I will see what I can do to make them fit.

Comment

Don,
        That did it. I swapped the wires to the correct locations and VROOM away we went. I bought this bike for $500 because the kid couldn't get it running and said it had low compression. He said it had no power and would stall when you loaded it. I can't see any of that. It took off like a bat! I just need to get the carbs resynched and the broken head stud fixed and we are good to go. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by jmanz6 View Post
          Don,
          That did it. I swapped the wires to the correct locations and VROOM away we went. I bought this bike for $500 because the kid couldn't get it running and said it had low compression. He said it had no power and would stall when you loaded it. I can't see any of that. It took off like a bat! I just need to get the carbs resynched and the broken head stud fixed and we are good to go. Thanks for the help.
          No problem Jason, that's what we are here for. Glad I was able to help out. My advice does not always get such immediate success. Glad we had a thumbs up on this one. Enjoy your riding.

Comment

Working...
          X