Warm-Up/Choke Breakdown Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warm-Up/Choke Breakdown Please

I have a 78 GS550. I am hoping someone would be willing to breakdown what is happening while warming up the bike and how to run the choke. I believe the choke just adjusts air to the carbs right? So what does the varying degrees of choke do to make the engine warm up? Also I just replaced the pod filters on my bike from foam to emglo filters, it seems to warm up a bit rougher and slower. Should I make some adjustment, or just go back to the foam? Thanks.

Originally posted by markdjr View Post
    I have a 78 GS550. I am hoping someone would be willing to breakdown what is happening while warming up the bike and how to run the choke. I believe the choke just adjusts air to the carbs right? So what does the varying degrees of choke do to make the engine warm up? Also I just replaced the pod filters on my bike from foam to emglo filters, it seems to warm up a bit rougher and slower. Should I make some adjustment, or just go back to the foam? Thanks.
    A cold engine runs better on a richer mixture. That's why an air leak, or a lean pilot mix will cause the idle to rise as the bike warms up. That's what the choke is doing, enriching the mixture by cutting off air. Every bike is different, just figure out what choke position makes the bike start the easiest and go with that. Take it off choke as it will run without it. Mine only needs choke on the initial crank, and in 10 or 15 seconds will idle off choke. The new filters are likely more free flowing than what you had on there causing the slower warm up by leaning out the mix at idle. You may need to tweak the pilot screws a bit.

Comment

10-15 seconds!?!?!? Mine needs at least 10 minutes. I think it has an air leak though.

Btw, the mikuni carbs on these bikes enrichen the mixture by adding fuel, not by cutting off air.

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
        10-15 seconds!?!?!? Mine needs at least 10 minutes. I think it has an air leak though.

Btw, the mikuni carbs on these bikes enrichen the mixture by adding fuel, not by cutting off air.
        Ok, that makes sense, thinking about what the choke mechanisms look like.

Comment

Working...
        X