Exhaust port cleaning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust port cleaning?

I have a new 4-2 exhaust on the way. So last night I took of the old 4-1 exhaust and the crush gaskets. i.It came off rather easily, btw.
    Inside the exhaust ports there is about a 1/16" layer of carbon, soot or whatever it is. It extends as far as I can see.
    Should I try and clean this out? Just the ports, I'm not trying to go into the engine. I can't wipe it out as it has hardened over time. I don't want all this stuff to go through my brand new exhaust when I start it up.
    Thanks
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Dont worry about it going through your new exhaust, it won't hurt it. If you want to clean it, a brass wire brush will take it off.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't do to much with the head on the bike, maybe just the area where the gaskets mate to the head. If you try and get in there very far you might send chunkies back into the engine.

Comment

It is quite easy if you have compressed air available. Doing one port at a time, make sure the valve is closed. Scrape the carbon off with a tool that has minimal chance of scratching the port more than necessary and then use an air blast to get out the loose stuff that has fallen to the valve.
        Without the air it is just a bit harder to clean up in there. It can be done with a vacuum cleaner using a small hose to reach in. Might not get it all out but little harm can be done since the carbon is soft and there is plenty more inside the chamber anyhow.

Comment

Chunkies are bad...got it!

Thanks guys. Wasn't sure what effect it would have on the new exhaust. I'm going to clean the gasket mating surface and have a shop vac sucking out the chunkies, because they're bad--except the candy bar--they're pretty yummy!!

I would've taken some pics, but it's kinda a hard place to get a good pic. Will the carbon inside just burn away over time or come out in a magnificent blast on startup?
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Loose bits will just blast out. Some attached carbon will flake off at times. The carbon rarely can do any damage in the engine or after it. It is soft enough that even if a valve closed on a chunk it may misfire during that cycle but the carbon will crush and be blown away.

Comment

You guys are probably right. I was advised against it when I swapped my exhaust so I didn't do it. The head I am rebuilding has been a carbon nightmare. hours with solvent and dental picks have gotten it pretty clean, but still some carbon on exhaust side.

Comment

No worries

Thanks all. I'm down to the final stretch. Thought I'd have it on the road by Labor Day, but it looks like the week after. After the carb cleaning with o-rings, valve adjustment, new petcock, por-15, new 1/4" electrical connectors, stainless socket head bolts thruout, gaskets, I didn't want to carb sync without the proper exhaust. This bike is going to have quite an awakening !! Keep your fingers crossed for the stator and r/r. It only has 12,000 mi, so it should have a long life left.
                Thank again !

Edit:: I forgot, if anyone has side covers and a tailight/brakelight lens... I sure would be interested.
                Last edited by Larry D; 08-12-2008, 03:34 PM.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                X