Homemade petcock diaphragm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade petcock diaphragm

Had a leaking petcock diaphragm which was causing fuel to get sucked down the vacuum tube into carb #2. Consequently the engine ran on only three cylinders while #2 drowned.

Since I'm an impatient kind of guy I made a replacement diaphragm using a square from a nitrile mechanic's glove using an Xacto and hole punches. I used an HPV gasket dressing to keep everything in place for reassembly and the subsequent blow-suck test shows it works like a champ. Doesn't leak either.

Question: How long do you think this will last? Should a proper kit be ordered now or should we see what happens?

You get an A+ for creativity! If the Nitrile is compatible with gas, I'd say your good to go.

BTW I used to live off Bee Ridge Road!

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw View Post
      You get an A+ for creativity! If the Nitrile is compatible with gas, I'd say your good to go.

BTW I used to live off Bee Ridge Road!
      Haha! What's up my friend! Sarasota's still crazy. Too many 'q-tips' and vacationers looking at palm trees while driving.

The nitrile gloves in question are super-resilient to gas. Had a pair lying around for weeks with fuel on them without showing degradation. I've made quite a few gaskets by hand so why not try it..?

Comment

i'd leave it like that for as long as it works
        beware of "rebuild kits", they often dont do the job, so a replacement fuel tap is the way to go, if you need to
        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
          i'd leave it like that for as long as it works
          beware of "rebuild kits", they often dont do the job, so a replacement fuel tap is the way to go, if you need to
          I'm a cheap bast**d and always look for ways of not giving money away. I lilke sticking it to 'The Man'. The petcock, in round terms, is in good shape so I don't want to spend $60 on a new one. I've polished the o-ring mating surfaces and everything else is as clean as can be. The o-rings have been replaced so the only variable is the daphragm.

I suppose we'll see what happens! Looks ok so far!

Comment

Being a cheap sob myself with a bad petcock I was thinking if I could find an inline fuel shut off to place after the petcock I could just shut off the gas when not in use. Has anybody done this ? My diaphragm is good so no worry on the gas flowing into the cylinder, depending on the cost of a shutoff it might be a cheap way to go.

Comment

Nice!!

Somebody save this one. I think it going to be very useful in the future.
              You should get the invention of the month award!!
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by lucabond View Post
                Being a cheap sob myself with a bad petcock I was thinking if I could find an inline fuel shut off to place after the petcock I could just shut off the gas when not in use. Has anybody done this ? My diaphragm is good so no worry on the gas flowing into the cylinder, depending on the cost of a shutoff it might be a cheap way to go.
                When I got my 1100E it was set up this way...had a cheap shut off valve after the petcock...looked like it came off a lawn mower...

But...being a cheap bastard with everything except my toys....I bought a beautiful, smooth and easy to use Pingal petcock....around $100....love it....

Later,
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

for all you self-proclaimed "cheepos", bear in mind that the fuel tap often leaks due to the weakend diaphragm SPRING, and this spring is not a part of any rebuild kit i've seen
                  so, if your fuel tap leaks on the ON or RES position the cheapest solution is to first try replace that spring - available from your hardware or engineers store for a few cents
                  GS850GT

Comment

YEP!

Go to the local lawnmower shop and get the little black and red Briggs & Stratton fuel shutoff. Might cost all of $5, probably less. I have one on my Guzzi and had one on my Concours after the petcock crapped out and hydrolocked the engine.
                    Works well.

Comment

Search online for a Briggs & Stratton repair shop/supply house. They have a fuel shutoff for most of their motors that will work inline. About 8 bucks. That was gonna be my next stop before I did what I did with my petcock.

Comment

Ooops. Sorry, didn't see the previous post before mine.

Comment

Nitrile gloves are the Sh*t. I repaired a slide diaphragm with one and it was still holding several months later when I finally swapped it for a better one.

Comment

When i got my GS1000 the petcock didn't work properly. It only worked on prime, and 1 1/5 years later it stil is. The only bad thing is not having a reserve. Just don't forget to turn it to the on position when you stop, and make sure your floatlevels are correct.
                            Ed

Comment

Working...
                            X