Strange tire wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange tire wear

Why is my front tire wearing more on the left side?

Maybe your wheel alignment is off in some axis or the better visibility through left hand corners makes you do left curves faster.

Comment

Ditto to Ola. Bike tires wear faster than car tires so inconsistencies in riding will become apparent earlier. You may be just putting more weight on the left also. This may seem counterintuitive but it's possible.

Where is the wear occuring? Just off center or all the way over?

Comment

Are you riding on an oval track and make only left turns? Try going the other way around. You might have a few obstacles, but it will wear your tire evenly.

Comment

We ride on the left in the uk & the tyres wear more on the right due to road camber

Comment

This is perfectly normal tire wear in the USA, believe it or not.

Debate rages as to the cause -- one camp claims it's road crown, then there's another camp that breaks out protractors and make elaborate diagrams to disprove this, claiming that it's because you inevitably travel longer distances when making left-hand turns than right-hand turns.

I dunno. Slap a new tire on there and don't worry about it. You're normal.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

gday mate, when you say left side, is that when your on the bike, or off, if it's off, camber of the road, if it's on, start checking wheel bearings, etc, regards

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
                Are you riding on an oval track and make only left turns? Try going the other way around. You might have a few obstacles, but it will wear your tire evenly.
                You could also just flip the tire around.

I'm sorry I am worthless when it comes to advice...

Comment

I see a bit of it come into the shop too. Blame it on trying to steer towards the center of the lane and fighting the sloping of the road toward the ditch.

Comment

Road crown make perfect sense! Thanks to all who replied except the comment about oval track riding.

Comment

Originally posted by loungeguy69 View Post
                      You may be just putting more weight on the left also.
                      Not likely. If you put weight on the left, you would have to lean right to maintain your balance, wearing out the right side of the tires.

Originally posted by tone View Post
                      We ride on the left in the uk & the tyres wear more on the right due to road camber
                      Thanks, I have often wondered about that.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      This is perfectly normal tire wear in the USA, believe it or not.

Debate rages as to the cause -- one camp claims it's road crown, then there's another camp that breaks out protractors and make elaborate diagrams to disprove this, claiming that it's because you inevitably travel longer distances when making left-hand turns than right-hand turns.
                      This is where my money is. Especially if you do much riding in town. Consider a left turn from a stop light. You start on the right side of the road, and travel all the way across the street to the other side, turning left all the way. Now look at a right turn. Start in right lane, quick turn to near lane, turn is over before you know it.

Originally posted by mac1170 View Post
                      gday mate, when you say left side, is that when your on the bike, or off, if it's off, ...
                      In general, ALL references to left/right, up/down, front/back always presume that you are on the bike, in riding position.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Do you work for UPS and only take left turns out of force of habbit ?

Comment

fork

check the forl oil and springs. uneven level will also cause the tires to wear off in that manner.

Comment

Originally posted by anikmankar View Post
                            check the forl oil and springs. uneven level will also cause the tires to wear off in that manner.
                            This is definite possibility!

Comment

Working...
                            X