gas leak 79 gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas leak 79 gs850

The lines that come from the carbs and dangle down under the bike, will leak gas, sometimes its a little sometimes its a lot. yesterday it leaked a whole quart. and overflowed to im guessing 2 quarts on the ground.
    the bike was bought last year and just got most of the bugs worked out to make it ridable, and runs pretty good. on the petcock, what do each of the 3 settings mean? is there a spot to put it so the gas can be turned off? im really new at this working on bikes, but am learning a lot from it. soon as i can put up some pics i will, any ideas on what would cause this and/or what needs to be fixed?

also anyone know where i can get a set of pistons and rings and head gasket set for a 78 gs550? and possible the cylenders too. mine have some nicks in themand dont think i can hone them out.

Originally posted by boba View Post
    on the petcock, what do each of the 3 settings mean? is there a spot to put it so the gas can be turned off?
    Actually, there are TWO positions where the gas is off. The ON position is where it should be most of the time. In this position, vacuum from the running engine will open the valve to allow fuel to flow. It draws fuel from a tube that sticks up inside the tank a couple of inches. The RES position also needs a running engine to allow fuel flow, but it draws fuel from the bottom of the tank, below the level of the intake tube for the ON position. The PRI position allows fuel flow at all times. It should only be necessary if you have not ridden the bike for quite a while (shame on you) and gas has evaporated from the float bowls.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If it leaks that much you have a problem with the petcock, or you have it on prime.. Alos have leaking float needles

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
        If it leaks that much you have a problem with the petcock, or you have it on prime.. Alos have leaking float needles
        ditto

for parts, call www.z1enterprises.com
        GS850GT

Comment

Check it out!

Hi Mr. boba,

I'm sure you remember your mega-welcome where you found a link to my little BikeCliff website and others. On my website you will find a full Suzuki Shop manual to download and lots of other guides with lots of pictures to help get you familiar with your motorcycle. I'm all about giving out 850G lovin'. Everything from changing your oil, changing your tires, changing your fork seals, changing your stator, wiring diagrams, hose connections, carburetor tuning, etc, with lots of pictures. Did I mention that there are lots of pictures? And links to other guides on other websites with lots of pictures? Please stop by and help yourself.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X