Gas leaking out of air box drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas leaking out of air box drain

So I finally am to the point where I can start my bike up for the first time. Here is what have done so far.

1. Cleaned carbs (replaced all O rings)
    2. Synced carbs (bench)
    3. New O-rings for intake boots
    4. Checked valve clearances (all in spec)
    5. Changed oil
    6. Changed plugs
    7. Thoroughly cleaned and re-lubed chain
    8. Coil relay modification
    9. Lubed throttle and clutch cables
    10. New petcock
    11. Rebuild front and rear brake calipers (new seals and dust covers)
    12. Clean inside of gas tank out - Actually a little too well - It then leaked - so I bought a new tank that is amazing condition - So new tank

Thank you to anyone and everyone who has helped me get to this point. I definitely couldn't have done it without this community.

What I have left is to make my stainless steel brake lines when the parts come and the sync the carbs once I get the bike running.

I ran into a problem when I went to start the bike tonight. I put my new tank on and filled it up with about 2 gallons of gas or so. I put the bike on prime for about 2 minutes or so. I then started to turn the bike over. I had the choke on. Nothing. Turned it over for about another 30 seconds or so more and still nothing. So I primed it again for about another minute. Turned it over and a sputter or two. About this time I notice that there is gas coming out of the hose that is attached to the bottom of my air box. A drain hose of some sorts. I watch it for a minute or two and it gradually slows down to a very very very slow drip. So I continue to turn it over. A bunch of sputters here and there but nothing. That I am not that worried about. My battery ran dead and I pretty much gave up for the evening.

But the leaking gas. Any thoughts on this. Did I leave it on prime to long and over flow one of the fuel bowls? Sticking needle valve?

Gas will leak out of the air box drain if left on prime for a long time.

BTW - You can try jumping it with a car -- just make sure the car is OFF when you do this.

Comment

Originally posted by zach_denver View Post
      BTW - You can try jumping it with a car -- just make sure the car is OFF when you do this.
      I do know this, but it was already 1:30am here and I didn't want to get in trouble with the apartment management again.

Comment

I do know this, but it was already 1:30am here and I didn't want to get in trouble with the apartment management again.
        That's how I got my job as apartment manager. They said, 'we see you working on that bike all the time, do you know how to fix sinks, etc?'

BTW - Make sure there are no fuel leaks during normal operation.

Comment

gday guys, you seem to be getting fuel, are you getting spark, regards

Comment

Working...
          X