1985 gs550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 gs550L

i have a 1985 gs550L and having problems, i believe are the carbs. i have talked with a local shop about rebuilding them. they told me no rebuild kits available for it. i'm noy for sure if this is the problem or not. the bike runs fine until you get up to about 5500 rpm and then cuts out really bad and won't accelerate. if you guys can give me any help i would be very thankful. also i don't know much abouts carbs so could you help me identify these carbs.

dewayne

These are the carbs on your bike. They are the twin barrell type, you only have two of them. Try easing the choke on at 5,500 revs when the motor is cutting out and see if it helps. Might give you some idea what is wrong. A complete rebuild of the carbs wouldn't hurt anyway.

There are a few guys on this site that will chime in sooner or later that have the same model as yours and are more expert than some of the rest of us on these carbs.

Comment

thanks

thanks don for the help. i will try the tip you gave me and let you know what the result is. i also forgot to tell you that at idle it revs up and down. not much but enough to notice.

thanks
      dewayne

Comment

From the little i have learned so far that has helped with my 83GS550E that has the same carbs is....

1-Clean the carbs in Berryman's or Gunk carb dip. Clean all orifices as outlined in the carb series.

1a-Write down all your jet numbers for future reference you will need to know what they are for tuning reasons !

2-Do plug chops at every throttle position ie: throttle closed, 1/4 throttle, 1/2 throttle, and WOT throttle ( wide open throttle ).

this will tell you by the color of the plug which circuit is rich or lean. Then make sure these jets are the correct size and not blocked.

3- If it's cutting out at 5000 rpm then your main jets are blocked or may be the wrong size. My bike runs great at anything over idle i put in new oem jets to stock specs as per factory manual.

4-I have had a problem with it not wanting to idle no matter what i have done so be prepared for this after your rebuild, i'm still trying to sort this out by going to different pilot jets.

Hope this helps
        Last edited by Guest; 08-13-2008, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Air cleaner system

If your entire air cleaner system is not installed and intact you may loose vacuum at higher rpms and not draw enough fuel.

Comment

thanks

thank you guys for the help. it will be a couple of days before i get to try all the things you all have suggested. the bike also has stock air box with a k&n filter.

Comment

still trying things

well i tried the the choke when the bike started to bog down and it did fix the bogging down. so what does that mean and what should i do next?

dewayne

Comment

I think it means you have air leaks. Based on the other symptoms (drifting idle, lack of power) a carb clean & re-build would be the first thing to attack.

Search the form for the carb re-build link & you'll get the idea... yours are the 2 barrel per carb flavor, but the clean & rebuild is essentially the same.

Also, valve adjustment should be addressed, which is quite easy on those 16V engines; no shims to mess with.

After that basic maintenance is completed, then you can start tuning...

good luck
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
                X