750 to 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750 to 850

Will a 850 jug fit a 750 lower end? I have an 850 thats in good condition but shaft drive and my bike is a later 70s 750 that has a good lower end but the top end fins a few broke places. It was just a thought. Any help would be great.

You need the pistions from the 850 too. And you'll need to likely get new rings for them. A 79 850 jugs will drop right onto the 8v (pre 1980) 750 motor, but a 80 and up set of jugs will require a bit of grinding of the 750 cases to get them to fit right. Otherwise, from what ive read, its a bolt up swap.

Comment

And you can pick what cams you like - 850 are a bit 'softer' than the 750 - they'll both fit.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Ok do you know where i Might be able to find the literature that you read. Plus Which cams would be best for this swap. The 750? Ok Also where is a good place to buy parts for these things like the rings and gaskets?

Comment

So, this only works with the 8v motors?

Might be fun to do to the T...

Comment

Oh is this a significant increase in HP and torque or not. Just wanting to know for the long term. Seeing this thing will take forever to build

Comment

It will bump up your BHP and torque and is worth doing - better value in my book than going the Wiseco route. 750 cams will give you more top end, 850 cams will be a bit better at the bottom.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

You have to use the 750 cam sprockets, do away with the 850 idler sprocket

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                  It will bump up your BHP and torque and is worth doing - better value in my book than going the Wiseco route. 750 cams will give you more top end, 850 cams will be a bit better at the bottom.
                  Id have to double check this info. I know that at SOME POINT they re-timed the 850 cams for more bottom end, but I dont know WHEN (what model/year) they did this for sure. It is my understanding that the cam timing of the 79 850 was the same as the 750. All top end. I could be wrong however. The part numbers are the same for the heads, and sprockets.

Comment

Cafe is right about the different cam timing, not sure how much difference it makes in the real world though.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Would anybody be interesed in doing this swap for me? When it comes to suzuki's I am kinda out to lunch. I can do this but with what time is my problem LOL

Comment

First, where are you located. Second, Do you have the necessary 850 parts to do it with? Thirdly, are you paying to have it done??

Comment

I am located in Knoxville tn. I have a complete 850 motor with no carbs and a complete 750 with carbs that I fired once. I will have to get the gaskets and any other necessary parts once its apart. I will Pay for it too LOL I dont expect anything for free.

Comment

So nobody will do this?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              Id have to double check this info. I know that at SOME POINT they re-timed the 850 cams for more bottom end, but I dont know WHEN (what model/year) they did this for sure. It is my understanding that the cam timing of the 79 850 was the same as the 750. All top end. I could be wrong however. The part numbers are the same for the heads, and sprockets.
                              The 79' 850's cams were the same grind as the 79' GS1000. I believe that the timing was changed on later 850's by advancing the inlet opening.

I wouldn't consider the stock 850's as having all top end though. But, they certainly don't run out of puff until past the red line either, even with the airbox still attached!
                              :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                              GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                              GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                              GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                              http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X