750 to 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
    And you can pick what cams you like - 850 are a bit 'softer' than the 750 - they'll both fit.
    Originally posted by Stormstyles View Post
    Plus Which cams would be best for this swap.
    Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    Id have to double check this info. I know that at SOME POINT they re-timed the 850 cams for more bottom end, but I dont know WHEN (what model/year) they did this for sure.
    They did this for the 1980 model year.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Cafe is right about the different cam timing, not sure how much difference it makes in the real world though.
    I would have to ride two bikes back-to-back, but it should have better low-end response with the advanced intake timing.
    Since most of our riding is in the lower half of the rpm range, it would probably make more sense.

Originally posted by 49er View Post
    The 79' 850's cams were the same grind as the 79' GS1000. I believe that the timing was changed on later 850's by advancing the inlet opening.
    Yep. I don't have the exact numbers here, but the intake timing was advanced 10 degrees for opening and closing.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      You have to use the 750 cam sprockets, do away with the 850 idler sprocket
      No, '79 850 and all two valve 750s used exactly the same heads, idler sprocket, everything but the cams themselves.
      Changes started in '80.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

So is the bore and stroke the same Then? I would think they were different!

Comment

I do not have numbers in front of me, but based on the responses above, I would say that the bore is definitely bigger (hence the need to change the pistons to match the 850 cylinders), but the stroke would be the same (because you are still using the same crank).

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So would the increased compression (10:25) help out? I have an 850, to swap to my 750, just wondering about the compression and the cooling.
            tucker

Comment

Originally posted by tucker View Post
              So would the increased compression (10:25) help out? I have an 850, to swap to my 750, just wondering about the compression and the cooling.
              tucker
              If you use the stock 850 jugs and pistons, the compression will be 8.8-1.
              To get 10.25-1 you need a Wiseco Kit for the 750. Those pistons will be the same dia as the stock 850's but with the higher comp domes.
              You won't have any over heating issues with that CR, unless you leave the engine idling in heavy summer traffic for long periods.
              :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
              GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
              GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
              GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
              http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

So where would be the best place to acquire a big bore kit for the 750 then?

Comment

Working...
                X