No announcement yet.

confused...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it all helps luca....part of why i am even thinking about this stuff is the shifting problems i am having. want to take a look back there where the shift lever goes.

not quite ready to look in the clutch area. have a feeling it's like pandora's box in there.

Comment

I know what you mean. Like the other post said if you have the big silver bolt on top and no gasket under the cover the shift lever goes threw than the drain is under that cover. I guess you ment you love us in a manly kinda way lol... I feel like an idiot I had my new o-rings on the trunk of my car in the sun
      hopping to heat them up and make them easier to go on. Well you know what happened I drove off and forgot about them... I did find 1 as I had put 2 on already I am 1 short what a buffoon...

Comment

Hi,

Be mindful that the pictorial guides I create are for my bike, a 1980 GS850GT. Many tasks are similar for other bikes, but some are different.

While the GS850 does have separate gear oil for the secondary gears (sometimes called bezel gears), the 650 does not. It's all engine oil. Check your 650 manual for the exact procedures for that model. Look in chapter 2, page 11.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I have recently changed the gear oils in both my 1100GZ & my 650GZ.

The 1100G has BOTH secondary & final drain/fill plugs, the 650G only had the final drain/fill plug.

I was confused as well, as I kept looking for the same secondary stuff on the 650 as I had on the 1100 - wasn't there. Go ahead & remove that little cover behind the stator, there's nothing there that looks like a drain/fill plug. I remember loosening a bolt under there, but decided it was a motor mount.

I came to the conclusion that the 650 secondary gears share the engine oil, while the final gears use the 90W hypoid oil.

Good luck,

mike
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Don't be afraid to take a look under the covers. As has been stated the cover behind the alternator is just for show, nothing behind it. The secondary drain plug is located on the bottom of case close to the gear shifter. It can be removed without removing cover. It gets motor oil from sump, it has a journal where oil can return to sump. By not draining during oil change means a small amount of oil will not be changed out, really probably not a big deal. My secondary drain plug is magnetic, also.

As for clutch cover, put bike on side stand and remove bolts, oil will drain to side and not leak out. It pays to have a clutch cover gasket since it will likely stick. Usually not much to find there, check clutch springs for length and replace with stock if out of spec. Generally, a very cheap fix for slightly slipping clutch.

Question for you, how is your shifting now that you changed engine oil? I had been missing 2nd gear every once in a while and since oil change haven't missed yet.

Comment

On your bike the engine and spline oil is shared. You have to drain from the pan plug, and then from the spline (the drain plug is on the left side and drains over the outside exhaust pipe.

The spline holds a fair amount of oil and is a necessary part of a proper oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
                Question for you, how is your shifting now that you changed engine oil? I had been missing 2nd gear every once in a while and since oil change haven't missed yet.
                i changed the oil when i got the bike about 6 weeks ago...BEFORE i had ridden it...so i don't know the before and after picture.

my shifting problem is this: almost always, i cannot get from first to neutral. i have to get up to 2d (usually with great difficulty if the bike is not moving), and then lightly tap down from 2d into neutral.

i am trying to learn about this stuff, and could use some suggestions that this newbie might explore.

Comment

Originally posted by boathead View Post
                  i changed the oil when i got the bike about 6 weeks ago...BEFORE i had ridden it...so i don't know the before and after picture.

my shifting problem is this: almost always, i cannot get from first to neutral. i have to get up to 2d (usually with great difficulty if the bike is not moving), and then lightly tap down from 2d into neutral.

i am trying to learn about this stuff, and could use some suggestions that this newbie might explore.
                  Adjust the clutch to add more freeplay. If that doesn't help, the clutch plates may be sticking together; pull the clutch apart and check all the parts per the service manual specifications.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                  X