Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

confused...

bike is an 82 650G.

the suzuki manual i pulled off of bass cliff's site has the secondary gear mechanisms having its own lube system...requiring gear oil, draining, etc.

the clymer manual i bought has nothing in this regard. instead it seems to suggest that when changing the oil, that the secondary gear drain plug also be removed, i guess the idea being that it shares the main engine oil in the bike.

anyone?

and i presume that if i open the cover that the shift lever goes into that oil isn't going to pour out?

WOAH WOAH WOAH!

I had this problem and it screwed me up.

Yes, you are correct, on that model, the engine oil is shared. But when doing an oil change, you have to pull 2 drain plugs!!! Be sure to do that!!!

And yes, oil will all come out if you take that cover off.

Comment

Ok, on a 1000G, of the same era, there is "gear oil". Behind the cover to the rear of your stator cover on the left, by the gearshift, is another cover. Beneath that is the bolt you remove to drain the gear oil and another to fill it, BUT an 82 650 might be different.

Comment

ugggh...this leads to a ton of follow up questions....but i'll wait and hope for a few more responses first.

Comment

Bring 'em!

Comment

I think there may be a pictorial on basscliff's site of him doing it on an 850G, changing the gear oil. It will show what I'm talking about, but again a 82 MIGHT be different.

Comment

hahah. ok.

1. i already changed the oil WITHOUT draining the secondary plug. can i assume at least that the main engine oil circulates through there? don't really want to change the oil again yet.

2. how can i be SURE that the secondary gears share the oil? a mistake on this would seem to be a major snafu....that if i drain the secondary, put the plug back in, fill the bike with engine oil....how to know for sure that there is now oil protecting those parts?

3. if i open the cover, i am figuring that oil would NOT pour out...otherwise why would there be a drain plug in there?

i am doomed.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                I think there may be a pictorial on basscliff's site of him doing it on an 850G, changing the gear oil. It will show what I'm talking about, but again a 82 MIGHT be different.
                doc, i think i saw the pictorial....what got me started on this current worry (i am a worrier), being a newbie, was that i was going to get some gear oil in accordance with the suzuki manual...but then the stupid clymer manual came in the mail, and now i'm wondering if this mechanical dunce is about to do something major league stupid.

Comment

1. If you have refilled the engine oil per spec on volume of oil, you have OVERFILLED. That is what I did. That = bad. Make sure that the level shows in your little window at the correct level.

2. You can't be sure. It just is. How do I know little leprechans are not living in my gas tank? I can't...

3. Shift lever cover? I assume this is the foot pedal; left side (when sitting on bike)? Then maybe not. I have never cracked that open. If you open the clutch side (right side when on bike), you will have oil all over your leg.

And no, you are not doomed. Why do you want under that cover anyway?

Comment

Go look at this...

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
                      1. If you have refilled the engine oil per spec on volume of oil, you have OVERFILLED. That is what I did. That = bad. Make sure that the level shows in your little window at the correct level.

2. You can't be sure. It just is. How do I know little leprechans are not living in my gas tank? I can't...

3. Shift lever cover? I assume this is the foot pedal; left side (when sitting on bike)? Then maybe not. I have never cracked that open. If you open the clutch side (right side when on bike), you will have oil all over your leg.

And no, you are not doomed. Why do you want under that cover anyway?
                      yeah, i am not talking about the clutch cover...am talking about the cover right behind the stator cover. doesn't seem to have a gasket.

what i want under that cover is the drain plug on the secondary gear mechanism? or at least to see if the set up has a filler cap like shown in the suzuki manual and on basscliff's site? because if it has a filler cap, i'll know that i have to put gear oil in. if not, then i'll trust the shared engine oil theory. am i overthinking this?

Comment

Originally posted by boathead View Post
                        yeah, i am not talking about the clutch cover...am talking about the cover right behind the stator cover. doesn't seem to have a gasket.

what i want under that cover is the drain plug on the secondary gear mechanism? or at least to see if the set up has a filler cap like shown in the suzuki manual and on basscliff's site? because if it has a filler cap, i'll know that i have to put gear oil in. if not, then i'll trust the shared engine oil theory. am i overthinking this?
                        AAAAHA!

There is our answer. The drain is actually what's behind the cover. The filller is the big ass bolt on the engine case right above the cover. If you have that fill bolt, then it's like Bascliff's tutorial.

Comment

thanks fellas.

i'll take the cover off and see what i've got. i absolutely love this forum and you guys. no homo.

Comment

Yea, take that cover off all you want.

Comment

When I changed my secondary oil I took some tin foil and slid it up under the drain and motor to make a chute. It was on the center stand at the time so a little oil ran back and dripped down so put a rag under the bike. The foil was in my oil pan and caught most of it. Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                              X