Problems with GS1000L (idle, other)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with GS1000L (idle, other)

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I just wanted to mention what a great place thegsresources.com seems to be.

Now to the details.

My mother owns a Suzuki GS1000L ('79?) and it still runs but there are a number of problems preventing me from riding it normally. The first problem I seem to be having is starting the bike. Whenever I crank it up at first it seems to burn oil (white smoke, anyone?). In addition, the bike will not stay on unless it is choked. Starting the bike is impossible without choke and additional throttle (cold).

After I manage to start the bike riding seems okay other than idling. If I let off the throttle the bike will die. This makes stopping difficult because I must keep the throttle on while braking, which seems unsafe. Keeping the choke on doesn't work either because the choke will eventually return to the off position (is this supposed to happen)? I'm hoping all thats needs to be done is an idler adjustment. How do I adjust the idler? The head gasket was replaced (it was profusely leaking oil) and I think the mechanic there got a bit antsy with the idle.

In addition to these problems the tachometer acts like a compass at around 80MPH. I'm not sure if this is due to wind hitting the cable or something physically being wrong. The engine does not seem to be fluctuating either.

I am a novice rider, I am only 18, and I have very little mechanical/maintenance experience with a motorcycle. I have only had a license for a few months and few oppertunities to ride. I have had a motorcycle safety course but it does not apply to my technical problems. Please help me get things running smoothly and safer

Clean the carbs.
    Get a manual.
    Last edited by chef1366; 08-14-2008, 01:29 AM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Where can I find a manual for this bike?

Comment

While you posted I was on Ebay searching. I posted a link on my previous post.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

while waiting for the manual...
          have a look here for a list of common issues with gs motorcycles that need to be attended to
          GS850GT

Comment

Working...
          X