Rear Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Brakes

I was riding this morning and I could hear my rear brakes start to squeal a little. When I got home I pulled the cover off and the pads are getting thin.
    What I would like to know is with so many choices of rear pads, which one is the best for my bike.
    I have an 82 GS1100GL pretty much stock I'm not an aggresive driver.
    Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

I just got whatever Jeff at Z1 recommended & they worked out fine. Could have been EBC.... About $20.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

For the rear brakes, I would go with the cheapest option available to you. Since the majority of your stopping power is in the front, having rear pads that might offer slightly less grip can help keep you out of trouble in a panic stop by helping to keep you from locking up the rear.

Comment

Personally, I want rear brakes I can lock up; there's times when it's kind of handy. I'd love to have ABS but that's not going to happen on 'these old girls'. Realistically, most organic pads are similar but I always use EBC.
        I don't think you'd ever find one brand that would lock up and another brand that wouldn't. I think that part of it has to do with the entire system.

P.S. If you're ever riding across grass, don't use your front (disc) brake!!!!!
        Last edited by chuckycheese; 08-14-2008, 06:38 PM.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

10-4 on never using the front brake on grass!! I learned that at 10 yrs. old on a honda trail 70. It hurts!!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
            If you're ever riding across grass, don't use your front (disc) brake!!!!!
            Or sand either.

Comment

Hi Mr. Roadrash,

I use the EBC parts too. I think you need the FA36 for the rear and FA65 for the front. CLICK HERE if you want to see some pictures of when I last changed my rear brake pads.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank for all the input, I went to my local Suzuki Dealer and picked up a set of EBC, breaks work great now.
                Could have got a little better price on line but I have plans to get out with 82Shafty (my son) this weekend. We haven't been able to get together latley,so there was no waiting for the UPS man.

BassCliff my pads didn't look as bad as your but there wasn't much left.
                Thank you for the link it made the break job so easy. I was finshed in about 15 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                X