Tank Dent Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank Dent Repair

If I catch the cat...it dies (not really). Story goes like this...set the tank up high to sync the carbs by running a few extra feet of hose cheapest way....so I thought, until I heard a terrible crash in the garage and ended up with this... is there a way to get it out, do not want to freeze the tank....heard of the glue on types are any of these actually worth trying?

Cat evidently tried to climb where I had the tank and knocked it over....should have set it on the ground when done...be gentle I feel like an ass enough

I feel your pain. Stuff happens.

I don't think there will be any way to repair that other than Bondo and a repaint. No way that will 'pop' out, the metal has been streached and the paint has been damaged.

Comment

The Ding King! Or you just put a little bit of gas in it and light it on fire. Much faster than freezing it.

But in reality, that is a big ding. I would take it to a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Porosky View Post
        Cat evidently tried to climb where I had the tank and knocked it over....should have set it on the ground when done...be gentle I feel like an ass enough
        I just brought a tv home that I bought from a guy at work for $50. Perfect 20" Samsung with internal DVD player, flat screen CRT. Was going to surprise my mother-in-law with it since hers just died. I bring it in the house tonight, straight up to my daughter's room where I put it on the bed so it can be close to the outlet and cable connection. Go back downstairs to close the hatch on my van, make it back just to the door and hear this horrendous CRASH. Yup. TV rolled off the bed and smashed in to the floor. Goodbye tube, just that fast. Not that it makes you feel any better but there's more of us out here that do comparably stupid things. I guess that's why they call them "accidents". Good luck getting that dent out. If you could get a big plunger on it, you might be able to suction some of the dent out. I know there's methods where you can seal up the tank and use compressed air to "pop" the dent out. Not sure how valid that is for this application though.

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

That will pull out but not without a crease and your paint is going to crack and peel. I would have just lost it and chucked the cat. You could probably use a ding king, I have hot glued an elevator bolt and used a t handle to pull out dents, if you go slow sometimes the paint won't crack, then work off the glue.

Comment

I hate stuff like that ,the little accidents that f*%# up your day,& also hate to say it but ,you are gonna have to end up pulling that dent,& filling to get it to look right. If it had been a small dent with no crease in it you woulda been able to get by with a paintless dent rmoval,but the creases in it are what is going to give you a headache in the repair,speeaking of headache I think I need so tylenol............wayyyy too many beers last night....lol

Comment

Due to the high crown around that dent it will not pull with the simple methods.
                The way I have done those is to cut a trap door up inside the tank and hammer and dolly the tank back to shape. Then fold the trap door back and weld it closed.

Comment

Not that this helps

Not that this helps but a couple of weeks ago I bought a 1978 gs1000 with 22,000 miles on it,complete,all the original pieces and parts etc... just had a charging system issue.Long story short during the process of going through everything I dropped the tank(with gas in it)and did very similar damage.And I can't even blame it on the cat!!!My plan is as some have suggested here.Conventional pull,bondo and repaint.I am trying to look at the bright side and see it as a good excuse to "custom"paint my new bike.....LOL

Comment

a good pdr guy might be able to get that out through the filler hole. At least to the point where mimimal filler is needed. When I worked at a body shop we had a guy that could work miracles on some hairy dents using the bars and the hot glue dent puller. I guess my point is it can be fixed almost perfect by the right person but would be much more cost efficient to just pull it, pave it and paint it. sorry for the misfortune, looks like it was in good shape before.

Comment

That's just a shame to have something like that happen! I used to prop my tank up all kinds of ways but figured it would just be a matter of time before I got careless and dumped it.

So, I bought one of the auxiliary tanks on Ebay. Even though I hated spending the money, I figured it was probably worth it. Hope you can get it fixed nicely and for a decent price.
                      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thanks all, tried the "dent king" pulled the paint off and little else. Gonna try throwing a match in it & see if that helps.....about 1/2 a tank should just about do it....kidding. Will try getting at it from inside...at least now I get to try a new color....all black maybe....flat & stealth looking

Comment

If the paints gone keep at it with the Dent King. It took around 20 pulls to get mine out and then used the smaller end around 10 times.

Sorry it took the paint off. Bummer
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                          X