now it won't start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

now it won't start?

OK, i dipped carbs and had problems with cold pipe on #4. I took the carbs off and redipped #4 last night. Got home and put it back together. put them back on the bike. also put brand new plugs in. now when I try to fire it up I get nothing... it won't fire up. I know I have gas flowing. i can smell it. so whats going on? i checked the gap on the plugs and all were under .03 per my clymer manual.

A

Primed float bowls?
    Gapped plugs
    Right wires on right cylinders

Crank on it and right away pull a plug and see if you have gas.
    While you're at it check for spark.
    You can jolt wires while taking the tank on and off.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

nevermind. posted to soon. went back out and turned down the main idle screw and it fired up with throttle. so that good. bad news is that #4 is still cold. I don't think its a carb thing at this point.

Should I start looking at electrical/ignition system?

Comment

Make sure the spark plug cap is screwed into good wire.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Z View Post
          nevermind. posted to soon. went back out and turned down the main idle screw and it fired up with throttle. so that good. bad news is that #4 is still cold. I don't think its a carb thing at this point.

Should I start looking at electrical/ignition system?
          Has #4 ever ran?

If you have a timing light you can hook it up to the #4 plug wire and watch the light while the bike is running. If the light doesn't light up then you don't have spark.

Have you tried pulling the plug to see if it has gas on it?

Chris

Comment

OK, i dipped carbs and had problems with cold pipe on #4. I took the carbs off and redipped #4 last night.
            When you 'dipped' the carbs, can we presume that you took everything apart and only dipped the metallic parts?
            Then cleaned all the holes in the jets with a copper wire strand, carb spray and compressed air?

nevermind. posted to soon. went back out and turned down the main idle screw and it fired up with throttle. so that good. bad news is that #4 is still cold. I don't think its a carb thing at this point. Should I start looking at electrical/ignition system?
            At this point, it could still be either fuel or electrical system.

Originally posted by Pacman View Post
            If you have a timing light you can hook it up to the #4 plug wire and watch the light while the bike is running.
            Good idea, but if the plug cap is making poor connection, you will still see a good spark that triggers your timing light, but no fire at the plug. Try switching the plug wires between 1&4. If #1 stays cold, the problem is in the wire.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Good idea, but if the plug cap is making poor connection, you will still see a good spark that triggers your timing light, but no fire at the plug. Try switching the plug wires between 1&4. If #1 stays cold, the problem is in the wire.

Actually you won't see the timing light activate unless the circuit is complete. The circuit can only complete if the plug fires or the coil wire/cap shorts to ground. So, it's true that the timing light doesn't always show spark at the plug but it will if the wires/cap are good and not shorting. But, the timing light will also show a false spark reading if the electrode on the plug is shorting across fouling on the end of the plug.

It isn't a perfect test but, with good plugs and good wires it is a helpful test.

Chris

Comment

The outer cylinders fire at the same time and the inner cylinders fire at the same time. Swap your #4 plug wire with #1 and see if the problem transfers to #1 (e.g. #1 now runs cold). It won't tell you exactly what the problem is, but it will narrow it to fuel or electrical. Do you have an ohmmeter?

Comment

Working...
                X