Does this bike have a BB kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this bike have a BB kit?

I FINALLY got my carbs sorted out on my 82' GS750E.

Pod filters, 4-1 exhaust, stock pilots, aftermarket adjustable needles of some sort... and get this... 122.5 mains (Stock is 112.5)! Needles set 1 notch from richest too!
    It runs awesome now, and with some air correctors ordered from Dynojet, I no longer have the low end hesitation when the throttle is cracked. Plugs are tan too.

So my question is this.. Why does this bike love fuel so much?? 122.5 should be way too big for this motor, especially at my altitude of 4000ft.
    Most people use 1-2 sizes oversize mains with pipes and pods, at sealevel.
    Im now at 4 sizes larger than stock at altitude, which is about equiv to 5 sizes bigger at sealevel...

Anybody know an old trick to measuring displacement without ripping the top end apart and measuring? What is the max the 16v 750cc jugs could possibly be already punched out too?

This motor just doesnt seem to be stock...

When I went to my 1166 kit the jetting didn't change too much. The timing, head and the cam set up does.
    Maybe the stock cams aren't degreed in or you have aftermarket.
    Are you sure it's a 750 engine?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Are you sure it's a 750 engine?
      I think that's the whole point of his question: "Does this bike have a BB (big bore?) kit?"

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Uhmmm That sounds pretty normal considering your mods. Of course its going to consume more fuel, you have it breathing free-er and running richer. I seriously doubt you have a bore kit in it.

Example...my 77 GS750B, with pods, VH 4into1, Mains are at 130, and 105's are stock. Clip in the fourth position. I think you're right where you are supposed to be, and yes, its going to suck a bit more fuel now...1-2 sizes for the mains would be ONLY for the pipe, you need to add another 5-6 maybe 7 sizes for the pods. You've introduced a CRAP load of air now. You gotta counteract it.

Comment

On my GS1000 I think 115 is stock and a dynojet kit for pods and pipes puts 155s in, yes, 155.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I think that's the whole point of his question: "Does this bike have a BB (big bore?) kit?"

I meant someone bolted in an 1100 engine.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
              On my GS1000 I think 115 is stock and a dynojet kit for pods and pipes puts 155s in, yes, 155.
              True that, but that is in DYNOJET measurements. Which are different from the stock Mikuni measurement. I dont remember which is which, but one is measured in flow rate, the other is simply the size of the hole..

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
                Nope, he has Mikuni 155 with a Dynojet kit. The dynojets were too big.
                ehh...Ok, well HE said he had a dynojet kit. I was just stating that they are TWO different measurements. Point is valid, whether he has those jets or not :P

Comment

well on my SV1000 I have..... wait a minute, it's fuel injected, I just uploaded a new fuel curve to the power comander and plug and play.

sorry couldn't resist, I hear so many people say they don't under stand fuel injection and they miss having a carb on their car, something they can work with.

they obviously never tried to get motorcycle carbs to work right.

it took me weeks to get the carbs reasonably straightened out on my 1100E(bought a set from Canada!), I was to the point of wanting to cry at the thought of having to pull them yet again.
                  with the SV it took a hour to (rejet low mid and high) and most of that time was sitting in front of computer.

I love fuel injection.

Comment

Quiet Leon!
                    Last edited by chef1366; 08-16-2008, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      ehh...Ok, well HE said he had a dynojet kit. I was just stating that they are TWO different measurements. Point is valid, whether he has those jets or not :P
                      I wasn't trying to show you up Josh.
                      I'll delete my post.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        Quiet Leon!
                        hot, cold, wet, dry, just push starter button and ride away!! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                          True that, but that is in DYNOJET measurements. Which are different from the stock Mikuni measurement. I dont remember which is which, but one is measured in flow rate, the other is simply the size of the hole..
                          No, that's converted to Mikuni, It's a 165 Dynojet main. I'm actually a smidge rich and thought about getting Mikuni 152.5 but I'm putting a rebuilt head on soon which may change compression which might effect that, so gonna wait.

Comment

I also have an 82 gs750 and it had 112.5 stock. It has a K&N OEM replacment filter, running with the airbox lid off and a V&H 4-1 . I just put in 120 mains and it rips, might be a little rich/lean but it is real close. I have the needles in full rich position but could be richer there as it had more part throttle with 130's in it. AS my dyno butt tells me

Comment

Working...
                            X