pilot jet removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pilot jet removal

What is the best way to remove the pilot jet?

The carb papers say a good fitting screwdriver. What is a good fitting screwdriver?

The ones I have are making me nervous about getting enough bite.

I have soaked and applied heat.

Am I too impatient still?

This thread will answer your question

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

relax

if you soaked it,it shouldn't be a problem.As long as the screw driver fits snugly,press into it and twist,mine "clicked" and started to turn,it was stuck pretty good.Is it refusing to budge? Leave it overnight.

Comment

Thanks. The pilot jet is the last one of the first carb to get out. been working slow and methodical to prevent *@#! from happening. I tried my craftsman set and just not quite comfortable with what I was feeling.

Comment

As long as the carb didn't sit with old gas for years it should come right out.
          I've taken hundreds out w/out a problem.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            As long as the carb didn't sit with old gas for years it should come right out.
            I've taken hundreds out w/out a problem.
            sounds familiar...

Comment

All of this is well and fine but you've got to get it out in order to keep your carbs healthy. Use the largest screwdriver that comfortably fits in there (not too big) and carefully make sure it is capable of getting a good 'bite'. If it does, push it hard and turn that thing out.

If you strip it, you can use a very small 'easy out' and it will come out very easily. The most important thing to remember is that the pilot jet HAS to come out and that you MUST NOT damage the carb body in the process. If you have to use an 'easy out', tap it in with the handle of a small screw driver; it will come out very quickly.

Don't mess up the carb body!!! It's not necessary and nothing else will matter if you do. Ruining a pilot jet is no big deal; they only cost a couple of bucks. Be careful!
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

When i took mine out, I filed the end of my little screwdriver down to make the end a little thicker so that there was a tight fit on the jet. The jet slot is wider than most drivers that will fit down there.
                Richard

Comment

Working...
                X