[b]Feul in the oil Whats the go????[/b]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[b]Feul in the oil Whats the go????[/b]

GS 850g 1983... checked the oil the other day to find its not needing a top up but a drain out!!!!!!
    The oil levels were just under full in the window when its on side stand so as u can see she has a fair whack in er....!!!
    The feul tap on the tank or petcock as the yanks call it Dosnt seem to leak ,i sat it on a bench today and it was not running out.
    so i changed the rubber rings on the 4 needle and seat valve
    so they are ok.I looked at the needles valve and they seemed ok as well
    SO????? hmmmm .I ended cleaning the whole thing as i had it apart anyway and its still getting feul . i set the floats at the manual level so im stuffed ....any ideas?
    also when setting the fload levels are u supposed to hold the floats down closing the valves when taking the messure or let them free float on the spring ?as ive allways let them just sit on the needle valve but i read somewhere that holding them down was the go????
    Thanks

Oil level in window is set with bike on the center stand. Float are set by letting the just rest on the needle. Dont compress the spring in the needle.
    Hope this helps some.

Comment

My manual says to just let the float touch the needle- do not compress the needle valve. Also be sure the gasket is not on the carb body when checking the float height. If you have the floats adjusted correct then I don't know what to think- maybe the rubber gaskets on the float valves? They may look okay but in fact letting gas through.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The fuel is not getting in there through the carbies but through the vacuum tube that connects the fuel tap to #2 carby. You need to work on the fuel tap, not the floats.

Kim

Comment

Thanks for the replys Guys
          A couple more ??
          Would the fuel be getting thruthe vacuum line whilst im riding or when its on the side stand of a night? , why dosnt this leak when its on the bench ? I rang around for a tap today and they are asking 87 bucks
          and nobody seemed to know of a tap seal/o ring replacement kit or even a carbie kit for that matter .also i suppose puting a tap in the fuel line wont make a diffence?is there a specific gasket/seal needs replacing as i have some old ones i can pull out..
          PS im in australia so getting the parts isnt an easy option as it may be for The USA

Comment

The fuel gets in there when the bike is sitting. When it is running it will burn off in the motor, but run very rich.

It probably doesn't leak when it is sitting there because it is a slow leak, or intermittent, or had some grot in the system that has cleared, or else it knows you are watching it. :-)

Put a bit of tube over the vacuum line of the tap and suck gently on the end. See if it leaks then. Or else put a longer vacuum line on so it has a full loop of clear line and you can see if fuel collects in the loop.

My Suzuki shop lists a repair kit for about $35, but there are a few different tap styles on different models/years etc and you need to be sure you get the right thing. I think there are three varieties.

Getting another tap from a wrecker is an option. So is fitting a manual tap and sealing off the vacuum line. There are probably other options, like fitting an electrically operated solenoid instead of the vacuum connection, a tap from garden watering system.

Kim

Comment

You more than likely have a bad petcock (tap). If the tap is not shutting off when the bike is not running fuel is running through the vacuum line into the #2 carbs and then into the motor. Fuel in the motor oil is bad bad bad. Get it fixed/changed ASAP. You could also have a stuck needle in one of the carbs that is not closing and letting the fuel through as well. Needles get stuck either from old gunk stuck to them or from very fine rust/dirt coming from the fuel tank.

Comment

Thank you guys very much the loop clear line sounds the go i think i will do that .......As ststed before i cleaned the carbs out and checked seats /valves ect and i run a small inline filter but it still gets past into the bowls so...... I will let you know what happens anyway !!

KK can i get the dealer name with repair kit? i rang westen and action suzuki parramatta and MCA all to no avail

PS With all this Methanole bizzo in the news(some Aussie garage owners are "watering down their fuel")This cant be good for the bikes.
                Any theorys?????

Thanks again

Comment

Whitemans Suzuki in Bathurst. Ph. 02- 6331 6421. They just looked it up on their microfiche.

I nearly bought a kit a year or so ago, then pulled the thing apart and cleaned up its innards, now it's OK. And the problem turned out to be something else much more expensive. :-(

You can also try Carl at Cafe Racer in Bathurst. Ph 6332 6422 or email caferacer@bigpond.com He will be able to send you in all sorts of directions for options - and he knows the old bikes very well. When Carl gets on the phone he tends to take his time. So leave him for a day or two as he is working on my bike at the moment. :-)

Kim

Comment

Thanx again
                    I put the line in today ,changed the oil and made shure it had a loop in it
                    so i will see how it goes

Im off to Hillend this weekend and will be camped out at sofala so i may even go to the shop in person!!

If i dont freeze up that is!!!

All the best Wayne

Comment

Working...
                    X