I overfilled my gas tank and then....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I overfilled my gas tank and then....

I was at the station and accidentally overfilled the tank, anyways I wiped up the extra gas and took off. But then when I parked a mile down the road, gas started leaking out through the cap, is this the expected result?

Probably, Fuel from underground tanks is appx. 58 degrees. As it warms up, especially in sunshine, it expands & builds pressure in the tank. If the tank is completely full, the gas has got to go somewhere. If the tank were not so full, a little air space in top, only air would come out & you probably wouldn't notice. I have filled my tank before & went straight home & parked in the garage, a few minutes later heard hissing thru the gas cap. If it were as full as yours, I'm sure gas would have been coming out.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

That is normal. One or two things are taking place. Vibration is bouncing the gas around and it's leaking abit around the top or if it's still hot, gasoline is expanding and forcing its way out.

Don't worry too much, it'll stop after about 30 miles.

Comment

Thanks for assuring me that mechanically all is well. As for my paint job.... looks like I'll have another weekend of rattle caning ahead of me.

Comment

Working...
        X