Erratic Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erratic Idle

So I went to work on my bike tonight to test the spark to each plug, compression, and timing. I checked the spark and I am getting good blue spark at each plug. I start the bike up, and it starts up OK and idles pretty well for about 3 minutes with the choke off, but then all of a sudden it jumps up to 4-5k. So I back the idle screw out to get the RPM down and that works but as soon as i get it back to a little over 1K it starts to die and I have to put the idle screw back to where I had it. It is idling find for about another 2 minutes when the exact same thing happens. I have to back the idle screw out to get the RPMs down but then I just have to screw it back in after I get them down so the bike doesn't die. The whole time the choke was off. Never the less, I didn't get to checking the compression and the timing.

Any thoughts on my erratic idle?

Thanks.

Classic example of an air leak at the intake. Change the o-rings behind the intake boots and make sure the carbs are sealed at the airbox also.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Classic example of an air leak at the intake. Change the o-rings behind the intake boots and make sure the carbs are sealed at the airbox also.
      I replaced the o rings on the intake boots during my carb cleaning, but I will have to look closer at the air box assembly. I put new foam on the airbox lid as per the guide on BassCliff's site. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Mr. DMB,

Eratic Idle? Isn't he the guy from Monty Python?

That "airbox fixup" is from Mr. roostabunny. I sealed my airbox a little differently. My airbox was in a little better shape than Mr. roostabunny's (but still leaked) so I actually put weatherstripping around the edges of the airbox side covers themselves. I had to change it recently. I also put weatherstripping around the top of the air filter cage so as to hold the air filter firmly against the top of the airbox when I slide it in.

Other leak sources could be the airbox-to-carb boots. Have you replaced those? Or ensured you have a good seal there? Is the air filter lightly oiled? Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

My air box is a little different too. Mine is a large sheet metal box with a lid and a hole in the side that goes to the air box to carb boots. The box is sealed up pretty well (new weather striping on the lid) so I am going to have to investigate the connection between the air box and the carb boot box assembly.

Comment

Working...
          X