fuel ystem ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel ystem ????

ok, i am interested in what the 4 hose tubes that dangle under the bike from the carborators actually do??? __________ mine squirt gas like a squirt gun.
    i dont have to be doing anything , they just squirt when ever... but i dont know if they do when its running.. dont really matter if its hot from running or cold from sitting over nite.;. it can fill a quart in a few hours or a week... i changed the gasket in the petcock, and i think the neddles in the carbs are next.... is there a actual off for the gas tank????

and 1 other thing i dont know what would cause it, when i turn and lock the wheel and take out the key, the brake light comes on and stays on.
    oh yes this is a 1979 gs850. im still trying to find some used pistons and rings for my 78 gs550.

Try turning the key the other way. I did the same thing with my bike. I thought I had an electric problem when it turns out it's a safety feature for if you get off the road at night.

Comment

Turn the key the other way, you are turning it to the Park position, The 4 hoses are over flow, You have a problem with the float needles. Take them out & clean them Take a close look at the point if worn, you need to replace them

Comment

It's in the book

Hi Mr. boba,

As has been stated, turn your key to the left, push it in slightly to move it all the way over to the locked position.

If you look in the manual you downloaded from my website, in Chapter 9 page 3 you will find the carburetor section. On page 9-12 there is a troubleshooting chart that explains "Overflow and fuel level fluctuations" as being caused by:

1. Needle valve is worn or damaged.
        2. Spring in needle valve is broken.
        3. Float is not working properly.
        4. Foreign matter has adhered to needle valve.
        5. Fuel level is too high or low.

In other words, check your needle valves, needle valve springs, float levels, and the floats themselves. Are you sure you have a good petcock? Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by boba View Post
          . is there a actual off for the gas tank????
          on the fuel tap, both the ON and the RES positions should NOT flow gas when the engine is not running
          if you get gas leakage when the engine is not running you definitely have a faulty fuel tap
          GS850GT

Comment

gas ?

thankyou for the tips on my gas leaks, i did put a new gasket in petcock, next is to look at the needles. probly replace them just because..

but would these make it squirt like a squirt gun? not just a drip, but 2-3 ounce squirt.? with alittle bit of pressure behind it even?

and turning the key the other wqay made my brake lite go off so i can lock the wheel, i didnt know it had a lock that far around past off. that expalins why my battery would keep losing charge while i was trying to get this to run decently enough to ride it. hopefully i can add some pics soon

Comment

Originally posted by boba View Post
              i did put a new gasket in petcock,
              fuel taps leak for other reasons too
              you need to test it
              it should not let any gas in neither ON nor RES position
              GS850GT

Comment

Working...
              X