Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch plates

Hi there,
    I want to put in new clutch plates. Do you only change the fiber plates, or the steel plates as well? And howmany of each do you need?
    I checked on the fiche at Alpha sports, and it said that i need 8 fiber plates, but on the drawing it shows only 7
    Thanks for al your advise,
    Ed

Just order an EBC kit for your bike & check all of your steels for flatness. If any are warped, replace them. You can glass bead your stock steels if they are flat & clean them WELL & re-use them. Do NOT use a Barnett "Extra" plate kit! they make the fibers thinner & they will gouge & DESTROY your clutch hub! Good luck, Ray.

Comment

I just redid my clutch and replaced all the steels and fibers, including the wave washer and seat which were rattling around and the wave washer was sacked out. Clutch is like new. I also bought a set of ebc springs but found running all 6 made the lever pull too heavy so I went to 3 stock and 3 ebc.

Comment

i too am having i think clutch problems. alot of trouble getting into neutral from first. would you guys suspect worn plates to be the issue? i've adjusted the cable, but still great difficulty.

once the bike is going, i shift through the gears well, although from 1st to 2d is becoming more and more difficult.

was hoping to make it through the season before tackling this....heck, my season may be over as it is because i now have to tackle this.

any suggestions to a nearly broke brother? buy the fiber plates and hope i don't need the steel ones?

Comment

Originally posted by boathead View Post

any suggestions to a nearly broke brother?
          Before you break the bank or take off the clutch cover look at your shift lever and linkage. Make sure the shift lever is well lubed on the shaft. Mine was binding and causing problems getting into neutral. Changing the clutch pack is not too tough. The parts are a bit pricey but you should be able to do the work yourself. Good luck.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

i adjusted the cable today. i didn't lube it though. i'll try that first. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              Just order an EBC kit for your bike & check all of your steels for flatness. If any are warped, replace them. You can glass bead your stock steels if they are flat & clean them WELL & re-use them. Do NOT use a Barnett "Extra" plate kit! they make the fibers thinner & they will gouge & DESTROY your clutch hub! Good luck, Ray.
              Ray,
              Thanks for the reply and advise. I will check, but i'm not sure if i can get that EBC kit here in the netherlands.
              Ed

Comment

Working...
              X