'85 GS550L bogs at 5,000 RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'85 GS550L bogs at 5,000 RPM

Got the bike on the road a couple of weeks ago and I am trying to work out the bugs as I find them.
    I noticed that once I reach 5,000 RPM the bike starts bogging down and accelerates very slowly to not at all. I noticed that if I open the throttle more it bogs down even more, release it a little and it improves a little. Another symptom possibly related is the gas milage. I currently get 33MPG, This is below what I expected.
    The bike starts fine, idles fine and runs good until 5,000 RPM.
    I suspect that the carbs need cleaned, something I would rather wait until winter to do.
    Is there any other items that I should check before cleaning the carbs that could cause this?

Leaking intake O-rings. Where does your bike idle once warmed up? It should stay right at that 1000-1100 RPM range. Could be (since it hits the wall at 5000) the main jet circuit as it transitions from one to another.

Comment

I checked to see if I could find an intake boot leak by spraying WD-40 around the boot and watching for an RPM change. I could not notice a change.
      Any other ideas?

Comment

Check the ignition. Igniter to be exact.

Are the main jets clogged
        Are the slides lifting?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

same prob

i have the same prob on the same bike. please let me know what you find out and will do the same if i do.

dewayne

Comment

try this

one of the guys on here told me to try the choke when the bike starts to bog down. this fixed the bogging down, but not sure what to do to fix the prob yet. hope this helps and if it does help you and you know how to fix. please let me know too.

dewayne

Comment

Originally posted by dewayne egerton View Post
              one of the guys on here told me to try the choke when the bike starts to bog down. this fixed the bogging down, but not sure what to do to fix the prob yet.
              If applying the 'choke' seems to help it run better, that is a sign tht it's running lean. Cleaning the carbs would be the first step. While you have the carbs off, change the intake boot o-rings, if you have them. If the problem is still not corrected, you might have to change to larger jets.

Are your intake and exhaust stock or modified? If stock, a good cleaning and tuning should work. If modified, a re-jet is in order.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Everything is stock. I will try adding choke when it starts to bog down and see what it does.
                This is the kind of trouble shooting tips I was looking for. Before I tear the carbs down I want to make sure that they need it.

Comment

Just had another thought. Could a weak battery cause this problem?
                  I had a bad R/R that was overcharging that may have taken a toll on the battery. Could this have anything to do with this problem?

Comment

Carb cleaning and stripped air screw and pilot jet

After checking every thing else that I could, I have removed the carbs for cleaning. My bike has the two twin carbs.
                    I am pretty sure that I have found the problem. The slides on one of the carbs did not slide freely. They would move but they needed lots of gentle help.
                    On the first carb the air screw was stripped by someone before me. I tried an easy out and ended up breaking it off in it.
                    I then grabbed a spare carb I have and started the cleaning procedure on it. Everything went smooth on disassembly except I stripped one of the pilot jets.
                    Do the pilot jets have to be removed for cleaning or should I drill it out?

Also, any suggestions on identifying the man jet size?
                    I had a brain fart and did not identify them when I removed them from the first carb.

Comment

Originally posted by jwebb6906 View Post
                      I had a brain fart and did not identify them when I removed them from the first carb.
                      I on't remember the exact sizes off the top of my head, but i believe #1 & #4 mains are different from #2 & #3.

My suggestion is to go up one size on each (assuming completely stock bike) when you find out what the OEM sizes are. That model runs VERY lean.
                      '85 GS550L - SOLD
                      '85 GS550E - SOLD
                      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                      '81 GS750L - SOLD
                      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

You can download the manual it will have the jet sizes in there for your year, also these bikes do run lean so you may have to go up one or two sizes on all your jets and do plug chops as you already know.

Clean it with berryman's chem dip and take out all the jets, extract them and buy new ones they are cheap so just replace them.

Also order new o-rings for the carbs from www.cycleorings.com and replace choke cable plastic plug o-rings, be careful putting these back on the threads strip very easily!!!!!!

There is a site for us with teh twin carbs and members there have gone through this so we can help with the tuning questions, i have a 1983 GS550E that i just got back on the road with help from this sites members and from those on the site for us with twin carb gs's.

PM sent,

Hope this helps.

Comment

Final Fix

Just to follow up with information to help others in my position (future searches).

The final fix for this bogging problem was adjusting the needle height. It was actually running to rich. I lowered the needles to correct the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jwebb6906 View Post
                            After checking every thing else that I could, I have removed the carbs for cleaning. My bike has the two twin carbs.
                            I am pretty sure that I have found the problem. The slides on one of the carbs did not slide freely. They would move but they needed lots of gentle help.
                            On the first carb the air screw was stripped by someone before me. I tried an easy out and ended up breaking it off in it.
                            I then grabbed a spare carb I have and started the cleaning procedure on it. Everything went smooth on disassembly except I stripped one of the pilot jets.
                            Do the pilot jets have to be removed for cleaning or should I drill it out?

I have the same bike:

1 & 4 mains - 95
                            3 & 4 mains - 105

The stock carb runs very lean, I was thinking that next time I would bump the mains up a size each.

Good luck,

mike
                            '85 GS550L - SOLD
                            '85 GS550E - SOLD
                            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                            '81 GS750L - SOLD
                            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Guess I should check the post dates!!