'85 GS550L bogs at 5,000 RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main Jet Size

I installed 102.5 in 1 & 4 and 92.5 in 2 & 3. The bike really takes off now when it is running on the main jets.
    I could not Identify the jets that were installed. So, I replaced them with the larger OEM sized jets.

I posted on this old thread to give a conclusion to it. Thinking that it might help someone else. I would have done it sooner but the forum was down for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by jwebb6906 View Post
      I installed 102.5 in 1 & 4 and 92.5 in 2 & 3. The bike really takes off now when it is running on the main jets.
      I could not Identify the jets that were installed. So, I replaced them with the larger OEM sized jets.

I posted on this old thread to give a conclusion to it. Thinking that it might help someone else. I would have done it sooner but the forum was down for a while.
      I learned that when a bit of choke doesn't cure the out of juice at 5G problem, pull over, remove air filter and retest. If she pulls like mad, she was too rich. I had it happen to my 1100, I swore up and down it was electical the way it would break up and not bog and finally decided to listen to my own advice and remove the air filter. Darn 1100 was revving so quick through the gears I was shifting out at 10 grand and hopped the front tire going into third.

Thanks for posting a follow-up

Comment

Originally posted by jwebb6906 View Post
        Just to follow up with information to help others in my position (future searches).

The final fix for this bogging problem was adjusting the needle height. It was actually running to rich. I lowered the needles to correct the problem.
        How did you lower the needles? removing washers? i ask because on the twin carbs there is only one groove and you can't adjust the needle height like on the older GS'S which have four grooves. So i had to go up one on the pilots and was able to tune the mix.

Comment

I believe that the carbs on my bike are aftermarket. They have multiple slots on the needle to put the lock ring. I have not heard on this on these carbs. It has me confused.
          Normally the needle height is adjusted by using washers. To raise the needle replace the plastic spacer with washers just use a washer stack up that is lower than the plastic spacer. To lower the needle add washers (I have not heard of this needing to be done on stock needles).

Comment

Working...
          X