Key refuses to turn in ignition - 1981 GS450L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key refuses to turn in ignition - 1981 GS450L

I just purchased a 1981 GS450L as a fix-up bike. However, I am having problems with the key in the ignition. I can put it in park, such that the front locks to either side and the rear light turns on. I can also unlock it by turning it counterclockwise, but cannot turn it far enough to get it to the "on" position or any further. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I guess you've already squirted lots of penetrating oil into it. Could be that the key is worn, though. Take the ignition out and bring it to a locksmith, who can make a new key from the number on the barrel. Worth a try.

Comment

I'm sure you've done a lot of key jiggling but if you push the entire key forward or rearward it can help. Also, the key only needs to be cut on one side. When my key was made the guy goofed cutting one of the sides so if it doesn't work I just turn it around half a turn and put it back in the ignition to try again.

Steve

Comment

I tried squirting some teflon into the mechanism, but that only allowed the key to slide more easily through the range it could already turn. The key has been tried in both directions with every possible method of jiggling while turning. Perhaps the locksmith would be the best bet. Thanks.

Comment

You can also cut one side of the key for the ign and the other side for the gas cap or seat lock if you have two different keys

Comment

Working...
          X