Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backfire when choking

82 850G

When I choke the bike, I get a backfire for about 20 seconds coming out of both pipes. As it is choking, you can tell more and more cyls are firing up. I have yet to adjust the idle pilot screws, they are all just 2 turns out. Could this be causing it. I also get some backfire when decelerating in gear. Whats up?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you're too lean or have an air leak. Have you cleaned carbs, new o-rings, etc....

Comment

cleaned carbs, new o-rings, valve check and shim adjustment, air box sealed with new (to me) air filter cage. Thanks.

Comment

Did you make sure the port where the brass float jet sits was clear?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

my pilot screws need to be on 3.1/2 turns out to avoid popping on decel
          GS850GT

Comment

Wow, I turned them out a bit, but not that far. I'll keep backing them out...

Comment

3.1/2 turns out on the pilot miture screws is actually a factory spec
              GS850GT

Comment

Where you get that from?

Comment

service manual
                  GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                  X