Carb help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb help!!!

I have an 82 GS1100E that has been sitting for a while. I rebuilt the carbs a few days ago but when I start her up I have to choke the hell out of it. I currently have a t-shirt cut up and wrapped around the air filter to give the bike enough vacuum to run. Is this a common problem? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Matt

Put the original air filter setup back on and I'm sure it will run OK. They were not meant to run on an oily tea shirt.

Comment

Using 'choke' is normal. "Choking the hell out of it" is a little ambiguous.

After proper adjustment of the newly cleaned carbs, you might only need half 'choke' and only for a minute or so. There should be no need for additional vacuum, as long as your airbox is sealed at all the appropriate places and your air filter is installed. The rubber boots from the airbox to the carbs also need to have a good seal, as well as the boots from the carbs to the cylinder head. The boots from the carbs to the head have o-rings at the cylinder head mating surface that need to be changed every 20 years or so. Have you replaced them? If not, they are available from Cycle O-rings at a reasonable price.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My 1100ED was doing the same thing, I pulled the carbs and did a good spray down with carb cleaner and used the air compressor to blow out all the passageways. Now its running great.

Keep in mind though I've replaced all my boots. Spray some WD40 or carb cleaner on each boot while it's running to check for air leaks. It will jump in revs if you hit a leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Using 'choke' is normal. "Choking the hell out of it" is a little ambiguous.

After proper adjustment of the newly cleaned carbs, you might only need half 'choke' and only for a minute or so. There should be no need for additional vacuum, as long as your airbox is sealed at all the appropriate places and your air filter is installed. The rubber boots from the airbox to the carbs also need to have a good seal, as well as the boots from the carbs to the cylinder head. The boots from the carbs to the head have o-rings at the cylinder head mating surface that need to be changed every 20 years or so. Have you replaced them? If not, they are available from Cycle O-rings at a reasonable price.

Sorry but you're wrong! The 16 valve 1100 & 1150 intake manifolds don't have o rings. You most likely need to adjust the mixture screws. When I do carbs, after I'm done I rarely have to use the choke for starting unless it is fairly cold out. I would start there. Ray.

Comment

He's right, there are no "o" rings inside the boots, and I di try to run her with the air filter in place but no luck. I've tried spraying carb cleaner around each boot while running but there was no change in idle speed. I changed the air screws when I rebuilt the carbs and set them to where the factory screws were set, is ther a general rule of thumb for setting the air screws? I'm going to pull her back apart and triple check all of the boots and replace the worn clamps as needed. I also got a nasty ticking sound in the top end, hopefully it's just a valve adjustment but I'm going to check the oil pump while I have her apart and make sure I have flow. BTW Rapidray, do you still have those locks? I may be needing them soon. Thanks for everyones responses!! Matt

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              Sorry but you're wrong! The 16 valve 1100 & 1150 intake manifolds don't have o rings.
              Thanks, Ray. Most of my work has been with 8-valve engines, so I was not aware of the difference.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

You should really do this
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by thezmann76 View Post
                  I changed the air screws when I rebuilt the carbs and set them to where the factory screws were set, is ther a general rule of thumb for setting the air screws?
                  It depends on who is giving the suggestion, and some of that depends on what mods you have done in the way of air filter/pods and exhaust system, but the general concensus is between 2 and 3 full turns out from lightly seated. Then, run the engine to warm it up and tweak each screw slowly, listening for highest engine rpm. When you are done, count how many turns out and record that for future reference.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by thezmann76 View Post
                    I have an 82 GS1100E that has been sitting for a while. I rebuilt the carbs a few days ago but when I start her up I have to choke the hell out of it. I currently have a t-shirt cut up and wrapped around the air filter to give the bike enough vacuum to run. Is this a common problem? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Matt
                    If the bike has been standing a while with fuel in the carbs then there is a chance that your pilot jets are partially or completely clogged with varnish and other crap. This would explain the need for lots of choke, when the choke is operated the pilot jets are effectively bypassed. I would recommend a complete carb strip, clean and rebuild. There is an excellent guide somewhere on this site.

Comment

i get this from every one that has cleaned a set of carbs. there was one guy at work who had a ATV given to him. his words " i have done a complete carb cleaning. what the heck else could be wrong with the ATV. "

i told him the same thing i am going to tell you. carb cleaning 101. clean it three times. if you even think your clean do it two more times. spray the heck out of all the passages. it took him a hole month be for he tried re cleaning the carbs. he was shocked at the "new garbage he was pulling out"

what happens is when you clean them. small chunks of what ever was clogging your carb will free its self and end up in all the cleaned parts.

i start with cleaning the out sides first. then work my way to the insides. taking a brake washing the grit off my hands be for even starting on the insides.

once the carbs are clean replace fuel filter and lines. do not reuse them. for a few bucks it will get rid of any headaches in the near future. chances are the fuel in the carbs dried out so will the fuel in the filter and lines. latter if there is any varnish it will work its way back in to the carbs and filter to make you cuss.

Comment

Working...
                      X