Info on rebuild parts I will need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info on rebuild parts I will need

Hi all. I just ordered the rings and such from Barr to do a carb clean/rebuild. I'm hoping someone can list the other gaskets I'm going to need to get the job done. I'm half asleep sometimes reading the posts and how to's and want to make sure I'm all prepared for the task. As well I'm getting new boots/intake and going to redo the air box. To sync the carbs I found a good make your own instrument that seems like it will work. Would appreciate the second opinion on the parts list. Thanks.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

4 new float bowl gaskets...

also, there's a store on e-bay that sells SS replacement carb screws, might be worth thinking about, especially if you've already buggered-up the originals.

good luck
    Last edited by hikermikem; 08-16-2008, 11:15 AM.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Agreed on the stainless allen head screws. Do NOT reinstall the originals.

Also, what sort of machine do you have? The GSR Hive Mind can often give more specific advice with a bit more information.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'd say float bowl gaskets are a "sure not gonna hurt", but mine have been through the ringer with no problems. They've spent hours in carb dip, been razor bladed off one body and put on another, they just don't leak.

Comment

Sorry, it's a 79' GS850G. I did order the stainless screws from Barr as well.
          Rob
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
            Sorry, it's a 79' GS850G. I did order the stainless screws from Barr as well.
            I believe the SS screws from Robert are for the intake boots only - the other screws we are referring to are the ones that hold the covers & float bowls on. The OEM screws are phillips heads & often get stripped when removed. Replacing them with SS allen heads is recomended.
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

great advice. Most of the screws and bolts on this old girl need replacing. I'll have a good look and get ready to replace them all as I take them off. thanks again.
              Rob

Comment

Working...
              X