Chain Length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Length

I tried to do a search because I'm sure this has been asked before, but it came back with 1600 hits! How many links should my 81 GS1100EX chain be? I got a 97 link chain which I thought was right but it seems to put the wheel way too far inward.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Pretty sure it's supposed to be 96 links.

Do you have the stock number of teeth on the sprockets? With a 97 link chain the wheel should look to far back not forward??

Comment

The sprokets are stock sizes recently replaced. I am going to count the links tonight- maybe EK mislabled the box. It is also possible that the mechanic who worked on the bike last year didn't put stock size sprokets on like he was supposed to- I don't trust anything that I didn't do myself.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

As per the factory manual final reduction is 42/15 and it runs 96 links of 630 chain. I'm pretty sure final reduction refers to the sprocket sizes. I'm not too sure how worn my chain is but the sticker on the left hand adjuster falls such that the arrors are on either side of the plate on the end of the swing arm.

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X