Disassemble slide assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disassemble slide assembly

How do you take apart the diaphragm and needle slide assembly for an '80 850?

Head over to Harbor Freight, get some long and skinny needle nosed pliers. Pop the circlip inside the slide.
    Last edited by chef1366; 08-16-2008, 09:07 PM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Another option is a set of 5 1/2" Needle Nose Pliers from Sears.
      You might have to file down the tips to fit the clips a bit better, but they reach just fine.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I dug a bit further in the tool chest and found a small pair of both of round nose pliers and skinny needle nosed. The skinny just couldn't grab but the round nose did great!

I'm now trying to figure out how to get the diaphragm off the slide.

Comment

Originally posted by Riding Again View Post
          I dug a bit further in the tool chest and found a small pair of both of round nose pliers and skinny needle nosed. The skinny just couldn't grab but the round nose did great!

I'm now trying to figure out how to get the diaphragm off the slide.
          You don't. If the diaphragm is torn you need another slide.
          I have some extra slides with good diaphragms if you need some.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Is your diaphragm bad? If not then no reason to remove it. AFAIK the best option for a bad diaphragm is a good used slide with a good diaphragm.

/\/\ac

Comment

No, it's not, just trying to disassemble to the basic parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Riding Again View Post
                No, it's not, just trying to disassemble to the basic parts.
                Slide and diaphram twist apart i think? There is a ring at the base of the slide and diaphram where they meet i think?

Comment

They are a press fit. Good luck getting them apart. I never have.

Comment

I have never tried to get them apart, but when I was working on my son's Yamaha carbs, one of them was already apart, preventing the slide from ever moving. Ironically, that carb had the only diaphragm that was not torn. It's a wonder the bike ran at all, let alone as well as it did. I can't wait to get some of these GS projects done so I can get back to working on his Yamaha to get it out of the garage.

You can see the separated slide/diaphragm in this picture, it's the second from the left:
                    (The completed carb rack is in the foreground.)

Here is one of the other diaphragms:

This is the bike. Keep in mind that most of his riding career, he has been riding with GoldWingers, but he wanted something different.
                    He has had this bike since he was 19 years old, and that was 4 years ago.
                    sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X