Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 GS1000G cam chain tensioner removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS1000G cam chain tensioner removal?

Hi there, please can anyone tell me if i have to take of the carbs on my 81 GS1000G in order to remove the cam chain tensioner unit, looks like it should come off allright as there is quite a bit of space between the two inside carbs for it to slide out? I could be wrong!!--Thanks

It COULD be taken out without removing the carbs, but I dont think you'll get it back in, with the new gasket, and get it set without removing them...soo...

Comment

I bet you have to remove the carbs. On your bike there is a notch on the carb rail just to clear the tensioner.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by bluezimbabwecat View Post
        Hi there, please can anyone tell me if i have to take of the carbs on my 81 GS1000G in order to remove the cam chain tensioner unit, looks like it should come off allright as there is quite a bit of space between the two inside carbs for it to slide out? I could be wrong!!--Thanks
        It can be done but it is a real pain due to the clearance around the top mounting bolt. It is so much easier to take the carbs off and probably faster in the long run.

Comment

Even if it's possible, it's not worth it.

It takes maybe 10 minutes to yank the carbs on a big shaftie. You'll spend far more time than that trying to get to the tensioner with the carbs in the way.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Many thanks

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful and really appreciate it, the avatar thingy is not my GS but a 75 RE5 that i nearly have back on the road! If you ever want a bitch of a m/cycle to sort out and you're tired of doing jig saw puzzles then try an RE5!!!--Thanks-again--Jerro

Comment

Did it!

Hello everyone and thanks for the tips which made me try this without taking off the carbs!, Took me about an hour to take off strip clean and replace. The only frustrating bit is getting at the top bolt on top of the tensoner body that holds it to the motor. Anyways, thanks again and happy wrenching.

Comment

Working...
              X