breather hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

breather hoses

I've just noticed that the breather hoses aren't on the bottoms of my carbs.... does this have a negative effect?

essentially I'm trying to tune the bike up to get maximum mileage, as I'm getting 18 mpg right now and definitely need to up it.

I still have to pull all the plugs to see if any are running to rich (which I suspect) and get the carbs all synched, make sure the timing is right etc.

Satch

Please remind me what your bike is? My carbs only have two float bowl overflow hoses coming down from them- is that what you are referring to?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Re: breather hoses

Thats almost unbelievable Alex. My 750 gets 45-48 miles per gallon and my 1150 averages 41-43. Something is very badly out of whack on your bike.

Earl

[quote="satchmo"]

essentially I'm trying to tune the bike up to get maximum mileage, as I'm getting 18 mpg right now and definitely need to up it.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

It's a 1977 gs 550e, and I thought that there should be some hoses dangling off the bottom of the carb bowls.

And yeah Earl, I know, it's horrible and it's killing my wallet when I have to stop and fill up every 100km, takes some of the fun out of riding.

the problem is I don't have the money to take it into the shop, but I don't mind spending some time and a few bucks to get it running as best I can myself. I think that the problem is in the carbs, but I'm not sure.

Satch

Comment

There normally is a overflow tube on the bottom of each carb bowl. Not having any would not have anything to do with your gas milage though.

Does the bike run pretty much smoothly and normally? Does it vibrate through the handlebars noticably. Does it use any oil? What color are the center ceramics on your spark plugs? Do you hear a lot of valve clatter when its running?

Earl

Originally posted by satchmo
          It's a 1977 gs 550e, and I thought that there should be some hoses dangling off the bottom of the carb bowls.

And yeah Earl, I know, it's horrible and it's killing my wallet when I have to stop and fill up every 100km, takes some of the fun out of riding.

the problem is I don't have the money to take it into the shop, but I don't mind spending some time and a few bucks to get it running as best I can myself. I think that the problem is in the carbs, but I'm not sure.

Satch
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

What do your plugs look like Alex? That is really bad mileage. Even dogging my 700 with RS flatslides and Yosh Duplex gets about double that. Sounds like you need a good tune up and check your jetting.

Comment

Working...
            X