Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb gurus: CV Carb needle proposition

Greetings all:

I have been searching far and wide on the GSR about increasing the jet size on my 82 GS1100G due to adding a 4-1 V&H pipe and still keeping the stock airbox. Near as I can tell, the general consensus is to go one up on the pilots and two up on the mains. Fine and dandy...

Then there is the infamous "shimming the needle" with washers should I need to raise that a bit for the mid-range. Coming up with small, thin washers is not all that difficult for someone in my trade, but I wonder if adding some extra notches to my needles would be better. I have a jeweler's lathe and can grind down one of my cut-off tools to take out a slot small enough to fit the e-clip used in the CV carbs.

So the big question is here: have fun with washers or go slot-crazy with the needles?

Thanks for your time.
    Jon
    16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
    13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
    78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
    Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
    02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

If you have the tools, go for it.

I would rather have slots, myself, and not worry about dropping little parts when trying to re-assemble the carb.

You next question will probably involve spacing of the slots.
    I will have to let someone with multi-slotted needle experience answer that one.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      If you have the tools, go for it.

I would rather have slots, myself, and not worry about dropping little parts when trying to re-assemble the carb.

You next question will probably involve spacing of the slots.
      I will have to let someone with multi-slotted needle experience answer that one.

Well, I have a set of VM carbs in my 78 GS750 and they are slotted. I was thinking of using that for reference.

However, if there are any Canadian GS owners with CV carbs who happen to have their needles out, please take a picture for me or give me a micrometer measurement. I'd be most grateful. Those lucky Canadians didn't have the same environmental standards we did at the time and their CV carb needles shipped with slots!

Jon

History book:
      12 Aprilia Shiver 750
      82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

If this works out Jon, you could have a cult following in short order making these for us! you'd be legendary....neigh! You'd be a GOD!! hehehe

Comment

John, I also have the V & H with the K & N filter and stock box on my 1000. I removed the OEM plastic spacer and used two of the Radio Shack washers for my needle position. The washers IMO are very easy to put in. I just pulled the tops of the carbs off and put them in while on the bike. I bumped the pilot jet two sizes and left the mains alone. My plugs are reading slightly rich at this point. I get some "burbeling on hard decell" but no heavy popping, I am going to bump the mains one size and see what I get. Brian has test ridden it and in his opinion it is very close on the jetting but still felt slightly rich to him. I would also rather be slightly rich than lean. My vote is to have fun with the washers, I am no carb expert but they were very easy to put in.
          82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
          AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Originally posted by jonr View Post
            Well, I have a set of VM carbs in my 78 GS750 and they are slotted. I was thinking of using that for reference.

However, if there are any Canadian GS owners with CV carbs who happen to have their needles out, please take a picture for me or give me a micrometer measurement. I'd be most grateful. Those lucky Canadians didn't have the same environmental standards we did at the time and their CV carb needles shipped with slots!

Jon
            Hey the Canadians were not the only ones with grooves in their needles you know. I have a number of grooved CV needles in a drawer somewhere. If no one else chimes in I will measure tonight (Monday) and get a pic for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
              Hey the Canadians were not the only ones with grooves in their needles you know. I have a number of grooved CV needles in a drawer somewhere. If no one else chimes in I will measure tonight (Monday) and get a pic for you.
              Go Aussies! Pics would be great Don. Thanks.

Tim, I may just try the washers, but sometimes I can't resist my lathe - especially when I have an extra set of carbs lying about and killing a needle won't give me a sleepless night...

J

History book:
              12 Aprilia Shiver 750
              82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
              X