Carb Adjustment Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Adjustment Question

Hello everyone. I just got done cleaning and replacing the O rings in the carbs of my '81 650g. The air screws on carbs 1 and 4 were backed out one full turn while the air screws on carbs 2 and 3 were backed out one and a half turns. Is that normal? Shouldn't they all be the same? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2008, 01:40 PM.

What they were set to isn't terribly informative, since we don't know what the previous owners had in mind (or in their bloodstreams, for that matter). Some people just want to turn screws to adjust <whatever> to make their bike <faster, smoother, etc>. Probably some just turn screws to see what happens.

In other words, if the bike has been through several owners, the carb settings can be more random than the lotto.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I'll buy that. However, the bike is stock. So I guess I'd like to know if those were the factory settings and a good place to start, or should I set them all to one turn out and go from there?

Comment

The carb sticky lists the settings for the 650: try

79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Set the screws to 2.5 turns out and see how it runs. Standard procedure is to warm the engine and then set the screws to achieve the highest idle.

Good luck.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks guys. I have them set to 1 turn out right now and it runs much better than it did before. It pulls like an ox now. However, after running at highway speeds, the RPMs don't want to drop back down to idle. Would backing the screws out another turn or so help with that or is that a symptom of another problem?

Comment

Intake or airbox leak. Probably intake.
              Change out the o-rings behind the intake boots.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

1 turn out is pretty lean on the screws too... I would try 1.5, 2 or even 2.5 turns (2.5 always works for me) before messing with anything else as it's a super easy adjustment to test!

Have you changed the intake boot o rings?

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I will second the suggestion to turn them out to at least 2 full turns, then tweak from there.

Setting them all the same is only to get them in the ballpark to get it running well enough to warm up the bike. When the bike is warm, turn each screw slowly, listening for highest engine rpm. I tend to go back and check them all again before I call them 'good'. Now you need to count the turns and record them for future reference. It is not unusual for them to be different, as each carb will have slightly different tolerances coming down the production line, let alone what they look like 27 years later.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, I replaced the O rings on the intake boots. After reading about the kinds of gremlins that gets rid of it wasn't even an option not to.

Thanks for the procedural help, Steve. I'll back them out another turn or so and then go through them as you have suggested.

As always, YOU GUYS ROCK!!! Thank you.

Comment

SUCCESS!!! I backed the screws out 2.5 and then followed the tutorial on BassCliff's site...

Hot damn!! Runs like a top and pulls strong throughout the entire power curve. No flat spots and great throtle response and the RPMs drop back to idle without hesitation.

Thanks for your help and guidance once again. Now it's on to the clutch and bolt kit.

Comment

Are the carbs CV type on this bike?
                        Roy

Comment

Originally posted by basta View Post
                          Are the carbs CV type on this bike?
                          Roy
                          Hi Roy. All 650s had CV carbs. They were only produced from '81 to '83.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                            Hi Roy. All 650s had CV carbs. They were only produced from '81 to '83.
                            So I can use this method on my gs550 with CVs or Bs carbs fitted right?
                            thanks Roy

Comment

Ime running 3,5 turns out as per the carb specs on this forum so is this just a starting point?
                              thanks Roy

Comment

Working...
                              X