Shaft Lube....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaft Lube....

Ok all you shafters out there, I have a quick question about gearlube..
    I am in the process of changing my rear end lube. what kind of gear oil do you replace with it? I have a can of 80w90 marine gear oil for use in boats its high viscocity lube for bottom end.. Can I use it?

I have always used Valvoline ( I think its 80W 90) gear oil.. Same stuff you would put in you car differential. Other than it being more expensive I can't think of why the marine gear oil wouldn't also work.

Comment

I don't see why you couldn't use that product.

I use the cheap Walmart 80W90 gear lube and change it twice a year, whether it needs it or not. I ride between 12K and 15K miles per year. The lube comes out looking quite clean, almost as fresh-looking as that which comes out of the plastic bottle.

Nick

Comment

heck the lube was "free" just what I had laying around.. wanted to make sure it was safe.. thanks

Comment

At the recommendation of my favourite mechanic (my brother) I run the marine grade gear oil. It is his belief that the marine grade oil has anti-corrosion additives, etc. that while not critical on a motorcycle application offer some degree of extra protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
            I don't see why you couldn't use that product.

I use the cheap Walmart 80W90 gear lube and change it twice a year, whether it needs it or not. I ride between 12K and 15K miles per year. The lube comes out looking quite clean, almost as fresh-looking as that which comes out of the plastic bottle.

Nick
            What is gear lube? Nasty oily stuff right?

Chainie Simon

(Nick, I've waited patiently for over a year for this "turn-about is fair play" opportunity.)

Comment

Yeah, it is nasty, oily stuff that smells like hell. It is, however, safely contained within the rear end and the middle gear box, so it doesn't splatter all over the wheels and everywhere else.

I could change it once every two or three years, but I get intoxicated by the smell of gear lube. 8) Oh, the aroma!

It sure beats that oily crap you chain gangers put on your overexposed, antiquated equipment.

See, Simon, the superiority of the shaft over the chain is so overwhelming, there's no way you can get back at me on this issue. Never!

Shifty Shafty Nick

Comment

Nick, if consistency is a virtue, you must be a saint.

Comment

Saint Nick.......Hmmmmmmmm.....! Nick is right though, It's nice not to have to clean all the skank off the bike from that flying chain lube..... :twisted:

Comment

Saint Nick is better than "Old Nick".

Old Saint Nick the Shafty Terrorist

Comment

Big on Syn. Gearlube!

I have had minor MIRICLES occur using Redline, Mobil 1 Full Synthetic gear lube in trannys, transaxles and diffs in my cars and trucks. SOOO, I want to put a GOOD fully Syn. gear lube in my '80 GS850G shafty!! What do you guys say?

Comment

I use cheapo gear oil, once every... well, every time I think about it. Maybe once every 4 years.

Every time, it comes out clean. I imagine it could outlive the bike, if I wanted to try. 8O

Comment

Has anyone tried synthetic gear lube? Just curious if it would hold up better or what.

Comment

There's not really any problem with regular old dino gear lube, so I'm not sure what the point of synthetic would be. You wouldn't be able to reduce friction by any meaningful amount (enough to affect power or mileage) unless you're using dilithium crystals with force fields or something.

Those gears will outlive the rest of the bike many times over using Wal*Mart gear lube.

But hey, if it will help you sleep better at night, go ahead and spend the extra $8 or $10 on synthetic.

It's probably still cheaper than chain lube... :twisted:
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                            X