Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why only 6,000RPM?

Hey people,

i have a 79 gs850 gn and she feels pretty strong but peaks, and vibrates pretty good around 6,000RPM. normal? i thought that the power should be kickin in higher then that. i feel like if i go any higher than 6, soemthings gonna blow down there.

any comments?

Rob

Have you done a full service? Carb clean & Sync, valve adjust etc? After that check out the ignition. The engine should really come on song at about 6k.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yeah, check your valves first. I have a 79 750 and I had a hard time getting high rpm and it really didn't accelerate well. I had bad points! New points gapped correctly and with the timing set it runs great!

Good luck!

Rick

Comment

Darn shame. 6000 is where the powerband REALLY kicks in,
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

For whatever reason, the shafties seem to be very touchy when it comes to valves out of whack, or carbs out of balance. Get the valves adjusted (best advice is learn to do it yourself, or have someone who knows show you..taking it to a shop will give you nothing but a headache, unless they specialize in old bikes) and then clean and synch the carbies, and I bet your problem goes bye bye. Now, if that doesnt fix it, and your spark and all that is good, I would start to wonder about the secondary gear box or maybe something in the tranny, but pretty unlikely.

Comment

cool, i'll ask around if anyone knows a guy near my area..orange county, ca. if not then it'll be the manual and a friend of mine that works on cars and bikes.

Comment

Hi Mr. Rob Arther,

There's lot's of 850G lovin' here:

There's even a valve adjustment "how to". PM sent.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2008, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Arther View Post
                cool, i'll ask around if anyone knows a guy near my area..orange county, ca. if not then it'll be the manual and a friend of mine that works on cars and bikes.
                Rapidray is your neighbor.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X