Battery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucabond View Post
    Dollars to donuts you have some poor grounds. If your charging system wasnt working your voltage while running would be less than you report. Clean your battery posts, clean the ground from the battery to engine both ends of the cable and the ground mounting on the motor itself. Run the black wire from your R/R direct to the battery ground and the red wire direct to the plus side of the battery even if you have to add wire to do it. Check your water level disconect both wires from the battery and charge it. Reconnect it after charging start it up and take your readings again. If you get over 13 volts at 5k the charging is fine. Also with these batteries you have to charge them at 2 amps or less never more... If your charger doesnt charge at that rate and you have been charging it at 10 amps its probably toast. Good Luck
    p.s. I recomend using steel wool instead of sand paper as it tends to scratch and takes off the coating on the connectors.
    Yeah, that's a good point. I've had some problems with corrosion once before. And let's face it, it is a 26 year old bike.

Comment

luca is the man. he talked me through my problem, and it was the connections after all. i am glad i learned how to check the stator and all, but more glad that just connecting the black r/r lead to the neg battery post, and cleaning the connections, got me going.

i too started with a bike that had to be charged almost daily to start. now, i have already misplaced where my tender is.

Comment

Working...
      X