Odd starter behavior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd starter behavior?

Ok, here is the deal. When I get my bike out of the garage to go for a ride the starter is strong and cranks the engine at a normal speed for starting.

If I stop mid-ride to gas up when I hit the starter it barely rotates the engine. Do I have a starter that is getting ready to crap out?

I have a new battery (less than 2 months old) and the electrolyte level is good, has a full 12 volts when sitting, drops to about 10 when hitting the starter button, and with the engine running the volts at the battery are nearly 14.

Stator and r/r are also new from electrosport 1 month ago.

Oh, I also have the weak starter when I leave from work. The bike would be sitting outside for around 12.5 hours in the sun.

Could this be a heat related problem? I am confused as heck by this, all the wires are good, not pinched or burned at all. I am going to start replacing bullet connectors tomorrow with some new insulated spades to see if that will help.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Best, Parker

It could be the starter is almost toast but I would check ALL grounds first! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
      Do I have a starter that is getting ready to crap out?
      Yes, but you may be able to save it. Mine was doing that, and it turned out one of the magnets had come loose from the metal case, and would sometimes (but not always) jam against the armature. Epoxied the magnet back in place and it has been fine for a couple of years.

Comment

Twelve volts on a new battery?
        No bueno!
        As Ray said check the grounds. The way the voltage drops with the starter isn't too bad. Bad ground, bad brushes or bum battery.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys. Chef, what should my voltage be at the battery when sitting?

I went through some of the wiring today and changed out some of the old bullet connectors with new spades. Removed the grounds( ones I could find without removing the tank and cleaned them up. Nothing looked too corroded though. I also took the cover off of the starter area and tightened up the 2 mount bolts ( they weren't really loose just snugged them up).

For those of you that have added a second ground wire from the battery. Where do you mount in to? Somewhere on the frame? Engine cases?

I will have to wait till tonight and go for a ride, get her hot and see if the starter acts up again.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2008, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Hey DR...
            I had almost the same problem with my 1150E...would crank very slowly when hot...Took the starter apart and it was fine.
            I'm pretty sure the problem was where the starter grounds to the engine block. that's the only ground for it...the nose has an O-ring that prevents contact on that end.
            When I took it off...there was the nomal white aluminum corrosion on the mounting flange and on the bolts.
            Cleaned all that with some fine sandpaper and she starts fine now hot or cold...

Comment

12.6 at the lowest.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Thanks Chef. I don't have a digital multimeter so I don't know exactly how much above or below my reading might be.

But after changeing the connectors and tightening the starter mount bolts I didn't have any cranking issues tonight. Hopefully the issue was the ground for the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
                  Thanks Chef. I don't have a digital multimeter so I don't know exactly how much above or below my reading might be.

But after changeing the connectors and tightening the starter mount bolts I didn't have any cranking issues tonight. Hopefully the issue was the ground for the starter.
                  Cool beans! Hope it stays fixed.

Comment

The extra groound wire. goes from the (-) battery terminal to one of the reg mounting bolts. Use like a 10 gauge wire

Comment

Working...
                    X