Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clutch: what precisely do i need to order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch: what precisely do i need to order?

i cannot get out of 1st into neutral. the gear shift lever is immovable when the bike is stopped and i am in 1st. i've adjusted the cable and lubed it. still no go. so i guess i have to get into the clutch itself.

before i do that, i'd like to have all the parts i need at the ready, but given this will be my first time in there, what will i need?

fiber plates (am not going to get the steel plates...too costly for me right now)
    springs
    cover gasket

anything else?

of course, if anyone thinks my shifting issue has nothing to do with the clutch, please chime in.

sounds a bit more than the clutch to me. can you move the shift lever with the engine off and the clutch in?
    sounds more like a bent selector shaft or maybe the selector mechanism behind the clutch has jammed/broken. whip the clutch off and have a look around, may be obvious when you have a look
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Make sure the shifter arm is movable on the shaft. Mine had some corrosion that caused some hard shifting. I believe the arm is held on by a snap ring. Remove the snap ring, pull off the arm, grease up the shaft and reinstall the shifter arm. spray lube the shift linkage too.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        sounds a bit more than the clutch to me. can you move the shift lever with the engine off and the clutch in?
        sounds more like a bent selector shaft or maybe the selector mechanism behind the clutch has jammed/broken. whip the clutch off and have a look around, may be obvious when you have a look
        whip the clutch off and have a look? hahaha. this will be a 10 day event for me, i am so slow and stupid. anyways, if i take the clutch off, would i be able to inspect the selector shaft from there? how to inspect these suggestions, i guess, is my question? thanks btw for the response.

and no, i cannot move the shift lever at all with the engine off and the clutch in.

Comment

Originally posted by boathead View Post
          whip the clutch off and have a look? hahaha. this will be a 10 day event for me, i am so slow and stupid. anyways, if i take the clutch off, would i be able to inspect the selector shaft from there? how to inspect these suggestions, i guess, is my question? thanks btw for the response.

and no, i cannot move the shift lever at all with the engine off and the clutch in.
          definately sounds like something has broken or is bent. unfortunately this is one of those jobs where you wont find out what the problem is until you strip it out. it will be obvious when you take it apart if something is broken or bent or seized, as mentioned above but if its a bent selector fork or a gearbox problem then its engine out im afraid.
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

i do know the bike was down on its left side at some point in its life. i suppose this might have bent something?

and another question....is it possible to have a bent selector that affects only one aspect of shifting, for instance my problem, but not other shifs? once going, i shift through the gears with little problem. it is just when stopped and the neutral that is the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by boathead View Post
              i do know the bike was down on its left side at some point in its life. i suppose this might have bent something?

and another question....is it possible to have a bent selector that affects only one aspect of shifting, for instance my problem, but not other shifs? once going, i shift through the gears with little problem. it is just when stopped and the neutral that is the issue.
              going down on the left may have bent the gear lever shaft. try removing the front sprocket cover and see if that helps.
              also if you remove the sump there is a spring loaded plunger that locates in the shift drum that locates neutral. this may be loose or damaged or seized which would make selecting neutral difficult at standstill
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
              X