Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil not showing in window

Hello,

I have changed the oil and filter in my bike, let it warm up and then sit for the oil to drain back down. Even after 35 minutes there was still no oil in the window. I put approximately 2.7 quarts of oil in like my Clymer manual suggests. So, I put in more oil until it almost reached the full mark. In total 3 quarts. Does this sound normal, or is my oil going somewhere it shouldn't.
    Also, the Suzuki Dealership here in Oklahoma City suggests using 20w-50 and my bike has 10w-40 stamped on it. I know it gets fairly warm here in the summer, but Suzuki must have felt pretty strongly about using 10w-40 to have it stamped on the engine. I would appreciate any input on both matters.
    Thanks,
    Billy Miles

what are you driving

Comment

As my user name suggests, a 1978 gs550. :roll:

Comment

the above reply was not meant rudely or in any other negative manner. I realize that it could be taken that way, sorry.

Comment

well cheese 'n' rice ask a simple question to help someone out! :twisted:

Comment

I am not sure what the oil capacity of your GS550 is but 3 Qts. doesn't sound like too much to me. One thing that you should note is that the amount of oil required in a change depends on whether you removed and replaced the oil filter. If you do not replace the filter, less oil is required to refill since a small amount of old oil remains in the filter and filter housing (one of the reasons that it is a good idea to change the filter when you change the oil). Perhaps the oil volume you saw in the Clymer manual was for an oil change without filter change. BTW, my 1983 GS750 takes 4 Qts. for an oil & filter change.

There is one other possibility: you are checking the oil level window when the bike is vertical (on mainstand), right?

Comment

One time I put too much oil in the '80 and I couldn't see the oil level. So I added more oil and watched the window and no still couldn't see the level. I got about six quarts in before it dawned on me to take some out.

Steve

Comment

Are you trying to check it on the centerstand or on the wheels? I have noticed on my 550 that on the centerstand, when it is filled to my shop manual-specified capacity, it doesn't show in the window, but if I straddle the bike while on the wheels, trying to keep it level and lean over to look in the window, it shows up at the full level. I think it was meant to be checked on the wheels, as counter-intuitive as that may seem. Too much oil is bad; too little can be worse. Double-checking in my Clymer manual, I too show that 2.7 qt is what should fill it up with a filter change, and that's what I have always done.

Comment

Re: oil not showing in window

To check the oil level or add oil, the bike should be on the centerstand on level ground. No oil shows in the oil window (even if the bike is full) if it is leaning on the kickstand.

Earl

Originally posted by 78gs550
                  Hello,

I have changed the oil and filter in my bike, let it warm up and then sit for the oil to drain back down. Even after 35 minutes there was still no oil in the window. I put approximately 2.7 quarts of oil in like my Clymer manual suggests. So, I put in more oil until it almost reached the full mark. In total 3 quarts. Does this sound normal, or is my oil going somewhere it shouldn't.
                  Also, the Suzuki Dealership here in Oklahoma City suggests using 20w-50 and my bike has 10w-40 stamped on it. I know it gets fairly warm here in the summer, but Suzuki must have felt pretty strongly about using 10w-40 to have it stamped on the engine. I would appreciate any input on both matters.
                  Thanks,
                  Billy Miles
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I have a 77 550 and a 79 850. Not sure on the amount of oil used-I'm at work and don't have my manual. Both my bikes call for 10W-40 but I've always run 20W-50 with no problems.

Scott

Comment

In regards to the oil, I use 10-W40 all the time without issue. Don't know why the dealer would suggest otherwise.
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

You have to remember 10w-40 was a newer oil back in the late seventies/early eighties. It was the cure-all oil for every engine. Not so true today, but 20w-50 is no problem to use in the summer on your bike. :twisted:

Comment

20W-50 is good for ambient temperatures down to around -5c (from memory). The bike's manual and workshop manual give a diagram of oil weights vs temperature.

A standard 10W-40 recommendation covers off operations in colder conditions and will handle most hotter weather. A 20W-50 is a good alround oil, particularly if the bike has mileage on it - the air cooled motors hagh wider tolerances than liquid cooled bikes.

Comment

If you chill your 20w50 to -5C in your freezer you'll find it gets pretty darn thick. You'll need a good long warm up if you use it in the cold. When I switched to it early in the season I had to up my idle adjuster just to keep my bike running with it at first.

Steve

Comment

In cold weather 20-50 can also cause the clutch to grab when cold I use 20-50

Comment

Working...
                              X