Clicking when trying to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clicking when trying to start

Yesterday I was taking the bike to church (GS850GN) and pushed the electric starter button and it turned over while I had it choked. I then unchoked it and pressed the button and all it did was click when I pushed the button in. It did this about 9 times. I then pressed it again (after cycling through some gears) and it worked fine and started right up. I started it about 5 times after that that same night without the issue.
    This morning it did the same thing but only once and all I did was push the button again and it started turning over again.

Is this a sign of my stator going bad?

j razz

I had this happen on an old Jeep and the GS550 that I have in my basement, I would say this is the starter, it's just the first signs but I would find a replacement soon.

Comment

One of several possibilities apply:

Loose /poor ground cable.
      Check the original one and consider adding another, 8 AWG wire, to run from the negative terminal on the battery to the frame.

Loose connection at the solenoid.
      Easy to check.....better to remove both, clean them, and then re-install.

This is a common sign of brushes failing in the starter.
      The starter has to be removed to replace them, but this is not difficult.

You can new brushes and solder them into your old connector plate, or just replace the plate. (I prefer replacing the plate..which comes with the new brushes already installed)

Both items are available at www.stockers.com
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I'd second what argonsagas suggests

Loose /poor ground cable.
        Check the original one and consider adding another, 8 AWG wire, to run from the negative terminal on the battery to the frame.

Comment

Thanks for the tips (and place to buy). I appreciate the help as usual.

j razz

Comment

Yeah, start with the cheap stuff first. Checking out ground wires is cheap. I had the same problem with my 1100, and it turned out it was the starter, after much fiddling around thinking the charging system was pooched. It is a GS....
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

does the starter turn when you short the contacts on the relay? i have the same problem, and i think i have traced it to a bad relay....
              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I'm not sure- I will check it this weekend when I get a chance. I have meetings all this week. Thanks for the pointers guys.

j razz

Comment

My most recent experience with those symptoms turned out to be corroded contacts at the Starter mount points. Since that's where the Starter grounds, bingo. Cleaned the contacts and all's good again. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X