I'm Thinkin' It's The Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Thinkin' It's The Coils

So Friday I ride the bike into work (82 650G) no problems. Leave and go meet my buddy who just picked up a new Harley Rocker "C" (I know, I know he also drive a H2), go for a ride for about an hour. So the total non stop drive time is about 2 hours. Get to the Gas Station fill up and head for home.....somethings not right.....no power, getting worse....finally about a 1/4 mile from home the bike won't go over 30mph at full throttle. I get home park the bike shut it off, and try to restart...no luck...thinkin' stator. By this time it's like 9pm. I figure I'll check it out in the morning. Go out in the morn, bike starts right up. Take it for a quick spin, no problems. Go inside, gather my things and get ready to go riding with my buddies, get about half mile down the road and all the symptoms return. Turn around and get it back home. Talk to my brother in law and he says that he had the same problem on his old CBR, whenever the bike warmed up the coils wouldn't work? My question to you guys is does this sound right? Or should I start tracking down the problem somewhere else? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Austin

I'd suggest you start out by checking your battery and your charging system. It will be quick and easy and you may figure it out right away. I doubt it's your coils. Your battery may be shot but it may have somewhat recovered over night. These bikes won't run well with a bad battery. Let us know!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I had the same problem on my 850. My R/R was toast. I completed the honda R/R replacement and have not had any more charging/loss of power issues.

It is fairly straight forward to check the R/R and stator with a multimeter.

Comment

The odds that both coils died at exactly the same time are pretty high. I don't think they are your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguarjoe View Post
          The odds that both coils died at exactly the same time are pretty high. I don't think they are your problem.
          I agree. Even if they did, I don't think the bike would exhibit those symptoms.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

when coils go bad it is all at once.
            2 things I can think of right off the bat

check fuel flow from tank

check voltage at battery when running. if it is lower than 12.8 when running there is a problem.
            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Check to make sure the fuel tank is venting correctly. I had a similar problem on my 81 750E. Kept feeling like I was running out of gas. I opened the gas cap to verify I had fuel, and it ran great for a short distance then started loosing power again. tike it for a ride and if it starts cutting out try removing the gas cap and see what happens.

Your brother inlaw is correct that coils can cause a similar problem the insulation preaks down with temperature, ao when you let it set it will fire back up.

All the others have valid points to check as well. you'll just have to go system by system and verify what is and is't working correctly.

Comment

Also, I would tend to look at the crank trigger/signal generator/ignition plate on the right end of the crank. When they start acting up it is exactly the symptoms you have. Either that or the tank vent because it will act the same also. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                X